Shell access in chroot?

From: Max Clark (max@clarksys.com)
Date: 01/03/03

From: "Max Clark" <max@clarksys.com>
To: <security@freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:16:27 -0800

Hi all,

I would like to set up a box and provide limited shell access to users.
Is there a way I could chroot a user on a ssh/telnet session like ftp?

If I were to give shell access to users, what kind of local security
hardening should I employ? Tips/Suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Max

  • Re: Want unusual config...
    ... > SFTP in using sftp-server, and have their home directory appear to be the ... > there is no reason for them to need shell access to the server. ... You may need a chroot cage. ... chroot tools built into it, you can easily manage quite a secure little set ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Fwd: Re: how to setup ftp server in red hat enterprise level 5
    ... You will also need to be careful not to give them shell access and you may also want to chroot them as well so they can't browse your filesystem. ... TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Shell access in chroot?
    ... > I would like to set up a box and provide limited shell access to users. ... > hardening should I employ? ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)