Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

From: Chris Orr (chris@manual-override.net)
Date: 12/28/02

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:46:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Chris Orr <chris@manual-override.net>
To: Duncan Patton a Campbell <campbell@neotext.ca>

Here is _all_ of the lists that spam bnc supports. One of them will have
your ip range on it im sure.
http://www.spambouncer.org/#BlacklistSupport

I think spamBNC is GPL'ed software. You use it at your own risk. Dont
quote me on that one though. :)

-chris

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Duncan Patton a Campbell wrote:

> How do you find if you are on the list? And who has the list?
>
> Can they be sued?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Duncan (Dhu) Campbell
>
> On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 08:45:23 -0500
> Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com> wrote:
>
> > [This is a resend. Ironically, the orignal was blocked by FreeBSD's spam
> > filter, I've had to send this from another account]
> >
> > I am not sure which list is best for this issue, hence the cross
> > posting. I believe spam and anti-spam measures are security issues --
> > the 'Availability' part of C-I-A. I apologize if I am wrong. A FreeBSD
> > ported package is contributing to an internet service availability
> > problem that has me stumped. I believe that an unknowable quantity of
> > other internet denizens are also affected.
> >
> > I'm a long time fan of FreeBSD -- I run it on my small mail server and
> > I've recommended it for many applications. I even bought a CD once. I
> > write this missive with great reluctance. I've worked with a lot of
> > strange software over the years, But this is a new first -- Software
> > that slanders! Software that publicly called me a spammer!!! And not to
> > my face, but to business associate. And then took action.
> >
> > I recently discovered, and quite by accident, that a FreeBSD ported
> > package -- spambnc (aka Spambouncer or SB) -- was blocking mail from me
> > to an unknown number of businesses and individuals on the internet. I'll
> > probably never have to correspond with most of these people, but I'm a
> > freelancer -- this may have already cost me a job. [Dear reader, don't
> > be surprised if you or your clients are also blocked. I strongly suggest
> > that you check it out.]
> >
> > Anti-spam products have a valuable place in the security arsenal. But,
> > IMHO, this product is dangerous because it includes filters and rules
> > that are overreaching, and inaccurate. Bad firewall rules and bad
> > anti-spam rules may be OK for an individual site. However, spambnc's
> > bad advice is being mass marketed through the good offices of FreeBSD,
> > and it is putting potholes in the net for the rest of us. Until it is
> > fixed, and proven harmless, FreeBSD should stop distributing this product.
> >
> > Basically, the default built-in policies for blocking mail aren't fully
> > described, and there is no mechanism to universally correct the
> > inevitable mistakes in a timely manner. Users (people who install this
> > product) are mislead about the probably of filtering the wrong mail. I
> > am sure that the software was developed with the very best intentions,
> > but in its zeal to block lots and lots of spam, SB is hurting good people.
> >
> > The SB rule blocking my mail host has nothing to do with me. Even
> > though, it can use dynamic anti-spam DNS services, SB hard codes its
> > rules for filtering bad domains by name and by IP address. My nemisis is
> > buried in a 1476 line file, sb-blockdomains.rc, which installs by
> > default, and is not documented outside the code. Along with others, it
> [...]

  • Re: Non English Spam
    ... Subject: Non English Spam ... encoded in one of the above character sets, ... You know all too well that filtering based on "Received" header ... language specific lists - if their message is not simply ignored. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: An Amazing Fact
    ... > filtering approach as well. ... difference between spam and not spam. ... All they have to do is send an RAV to any address that tries to send mail. ... and I use it for mailing lists. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: IP ranges used in North America, Hawaii, and Alaska?
    ... >> If you are trying to cut down on spam, ... > *Filtering* all that crap would cost a lot more. ... > That trick became useless when lists of dynamically-assigned ... The larger the network -- and presumably the more likely employees will ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Bystander shot by a spam filter.
    ... I believe spam and anti-spam measures are security issues -- ... product) are mislead about the probably of filtering the wrong mail. ... Spambouncer doesn't like Inflow. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)
    ... filtering indicates that there is no such thing as "obviously bad ... SPF as a part of a fully configured anti-spam system has some use. ... spam from determined spammers. ... higher for these "problem lists". ...
    (Linux-Kernel)