Re: TCFS for FreeBSD?

From: Greg Lewis (
Date: 10/17/02

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:11:08 +0930
From: Greg Lewis <>
To: Brett Glass <>

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 12:17:27AM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> I was under the impression that TCFS, like CFS, operated entirely
> in userspace. What parts of it work down at the kernel level?

Its a filesystem that works in the kernel much like ufs, etc. That
is, it has a standard vfsops definitions and associated functions.
All the BSD code on the TCFS site and that in OpenBSD is like this.
I don't know if maybe on Linux its implemented in user space since
I haven't looked at the Linux code.

> Also, what did you bring in from KAME? (I would think that the
> necessary crypto would be available through the OpenSSL libraries.)

Right, except OpenSSL isn't linked into the kernel :). The kernel
crypto parts that -STABLE doesn't have are the blowfish and DES
block encryption code. The code itself is originally from OpenSSL
or SSLeay by the looks of it.

> Since you've already worked heavily on the kernel stuff, I should
> probably focus on the userland utilities to avoid having to come
> up the learning curve when you're already there.

Actually, I don't know a lot about either kernel workings or
filesystems, I just wanted to try and port TCFS :). That said,
I've just checked and the user utilities aren't in my tree,
so I'll try and track them down (I must have them somewhere :).

Greg Lewis                          Email   :
Eyes Beyond                         Web     :
Information Technology              FreeBSD :
To Unsubscribe: send mail to

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Web server security?
    ... > interface for pluggable security modules. ... I'm unlikely to do a major kernel version upgrade on my only personal Web ... server until I'm comfortable with 2.6. ... Apache and OpenSSL. ...
  • 5.1 on a 386
    ... learning exercise, ... kernel, and things are actually going quite well. ... Most of the userland utilities ... what flags should I use and where should I put them? ...
  • Re: Its Q2, wheres OpenSolaris?
    ... >> I wish they would release all the userland utilities, ... > kernel and userland. ... utterances of the "Open"Solaris community. ... In the Linux community you know what is going on at all times. ...
  • Re: OpenSSL mal wieder
    ... Haeng Dich nicht an openssl auf, sicher ist alles etwas dumm gelaufen und ... Schau die andere OSS Projecte an (Linux Kernel, ... Entwickler A das Sagen hat, weil er Entwickler B für bescheuert hält. ...
  • Re: Its Q2, wheres OpenSolaris?
    ... >> I wish they would release all the userland utilities, ... > Well, AFAIK, the kernel, SunOS, is already compatible with gcc. ... Then it must be determined that Sun has full rights ...