Re: Sniffer nic

From: twig les (twigles@yahoo.com)
Date: 10/08/02

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:21:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To: Duncan Patton a Campbell is Dhu <freebsd@babayaga.neotext.ca>, Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>

Nope, nothing like that. Just some good old L3-7
NIDS. A couple things I was wondering though.... Is
anyone running the "ANA-62011 64-bit single port
10/100baseTX adapter" from Adaptec? It's supported by
4.6 release, but I won't be on site for the
installation so I'm looking for easy installation
here. This leads to the second question which is:
What kind of performance increase will I see with a
64-bit 100BT nic vs the same card running in a 32-bit
slot? I'm tryig to figure out if it's worth the extra
$30 before I tell my boss to get it (well...ask him).

Thnx for the answers so far though.

--- Duncan Patton a Campbell is Dhu
<freebsd@babayaga.neotext.ca> wrote:
> Hmm. I don't know anything about the cards
> mentioned here
> or the application you are putting the sniffer to,
> but you
> should
> consider whether you need to look outside the usual
> sense
> window for the card -- iff you are looking for
> network layer
> virii
> or other out-band transmissions.
>
> Dhu
>
> > On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, twig les wrote:
> >
> > > Hey *, I need another nic (10/100 copper) for
> sniffing
> > > and was wondering if anyone had input as to
> which one
> > > kicks ass. I'm planning on either an Intel Pro
> or
> > > 3Com, not sure which model yet. Anyone had
> something
> > > so good that they want to recommend it? The box
> is
> > > 4.6 Release (fully patched) running Snort 1.8.7.
> > > Hardware is dual P3-1GHz, 2gig ram, scsi blah
> blah
> > > blah, the only really interesting thing is that
> I have
> > > an empty 64-bit, 66mhz PCI slot so I can use
> that for
> > > a good nic if possible.
> >
> > I've had good luck with Intel 8255x NICs, ie
> > EtherExpress Pro, both in card form and in laptops
>
> > (built-in). I could record a most saturated
> 100Mbit
> > line on a P2-350 (using Ethereal and FreeBSD)
> >
> > --
> > Matt Piechota

> > the message
>

> Duncan Patton a Campbell is Duihb

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of
> the message

=====

  • Re: Gigabit adapters
    ... I have good experiences with Intel Pro1000 NICs, ... it seems that Intel adapter only comes on ... Pro gigabit card, now I just need to convince myself that the cost would be ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: HDdriver and CF card drive problem
    ... I don't think it's the cable, but the adapter is indeed acting ... The card reader uses a 25 pin connector, so to connect it to the 50 ... The other end of the cable from the ICD Link II goes to the Mega STe ... plan is to install some sort of IDE interface and use a Compact Flash ...
    (comp.sys.atari.st)
  • Re: PCMCIA Adapter for SD cards: Which one, and how?
    ... With a SD to CF adapter, I can now read a card faster than via USB 1.1, ... Going the route SD to CF adapter in a CF to PCMCIA adapter did not work ... Bus 1: ...
    (comp.os.os2.setup.storage)
  • Re: How do you recover an SBS2003 server with a failed internal NIC
    ... uninstallation of hidden devices and loopback device. ... start and having seen the state of a server ... You know the various IP ranges of the NICs during change, ... Prem) where the internal network card was removed the the server was ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: How Do You Ping One NIC From Another (Same Machine)?
    ... if you have installed two network adapters on the SBS server box, the NICs ... Intranet adapter: ... 825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)