Re: Sniffer nic

From: Duncan Patton a Campbell is Dhu (freebsd@babayaga.neotext.ca)
Date: 10/08/02

From: "Duncan Patton a Campbell is Dhu" <freebsd@babayaga.neotext.ca>
To: Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>, twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:58:01 -0600

Hmm. I don't know anything about the cards mentioned here
or the application you are putting the sniffer to, but you
should
consider whether you need to look outside the usual sense
window for the card -- iff you are looking for network layer
virii
or other out-band transmissions.

Dhu

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, twig les wrote:
>
> > Hey *, I need another nic (10/100 copper) for sniffing
> > and was wondering if anyone had input as to which one
> > kicks ass. I'm planning on either an Intel Pro or
> > 3Com, not sure which model yet. Anyone had something
> > so good that they want to recommend it? The box is
> > 4.6 Release (fully patched) running Snort 1.8.7.
> > Hardware is dual P3-1GHz, 2gig ram, scsi blah blah
> > blah, the only really interesting thing is that I have
> > an empty 64-bit, 66mhz PCI slot so I can use that for
> > a good nic if possible.
>
> I've had good luck with Intel 8255x NICs, ie
> EtherExpress Pro, both in card form and in laptops
> (built-in). I could record a most saturated 100Mbit
> line on a P2-350 (using Ethereal and FreeBSD)
>
> --
> Matt Piechota

> the message

Duncan Patton a Campbell is Duihb

  • Re: How do you recover an SBS2003 server with a failed internal NIC
    ... uninstallation of hidden devices and loopback device. ... start and having seen the state of a server ... You know the various IP ranges of the NICs during change, ... Prem) where the internal network card was removed the the server was ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 7.3 supported ethernet
    ... Support for Compaq's Fast Ethernet Network Interface Cards based ... These NICs replace the end-of-life DE500 ... 100BaseFX, Full Duplex, Half Duplex, and Auto Negotiation. ... The DE602-TA NIC daughter card, also known as the NC3132, should be ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Force NIC to 100 Mbps
    ... I have USB 2.0 slots in my PC but they're on a card ... I have little experience with how well USB NICs perform. ... the rest, and way way way after that, anything realtek or its clones. ...
    (comp.dcom.lans.ethernet)
  • RE: Problem with Realtek 8139C and 8139D NIC in 5.4
    ... >> card, so I decided to upgrade it as well. ... >> the WiFi, ... >> Uninstall ALL other NICs in the system and only leave in the 8139D, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Help! RAS and 2 NICs?
    ... Net Card ... Now my LAN Card is usually not setup with a Static IP ... I can have an outside connection.. ... >> to specify the inside network and outside network NICS, ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)