Re: RE: Is FreeBSD's tar susceptible to this?

From: Brett Glass (
Date: 10/01/02

Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 13:35:27 -0600
To: Matthew Dillon <>
From: Brett Glass <>

At 01:28 PM 10/1/2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> In our case, we have a simple recourse for 'tar' if the the gnu/tar
> people are unable to stabilize their final product. We find a fairly
> stable version and we fork it in our tree.

I agree. And while folks are correct that licensing is not the only issue
here, why not take the opportunity to adopt something BSD-licensed instead?
At the same time, it would be possible to integrate bzip instead of invoking
it as a separate process. This would make it more efficient when we go to
bzip for ports and packages.

To Unsubscribe: send mail to