Re: asmtp 587 - quickie faq submission

From: Lupe Christoph (lupe@lupe-christoph.de)
Date: 09/11/02

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:12:06 +0200
To: Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
From: lupe@lupe-christoph.de (Lupe Christoph)

With suggested tweaks.

 *) How do I enable ASMTP with sendmail?
    To implement ASMTP, you must install a sendmail with SASL compiled
    in. This requires the installation of the cyrus-sasl port.
    You can then either recompile the system's sendmail as detailed in
    /etc/defaults/make.conf (look for SASL) or install the sendmail-sasl
    port, and replace the default sendmail with the one from that port.

    Either edit /etc/mail/sendmail.cf to allow PLAIN AUTH (change
    AuthMechanisms to contain PLAIN), or (better) create a new sendmail.cf.

    Some help for this can be obtained from:
      http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html
    More background is contained in
      http://www.sendmail.org/~gshapiro/security.pdf

    The FAQ authors would appreciate a report from somebody who has
    actually used sendmail with ASMTP to augment this entry.

Lupe Christoph

--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| Big Misunderstandings #6398: The Titanic was not supposed to be        |

  • RE: Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems
    ... Sendmail was installed with the base install and recompiled ... sets up a DAEMON port. ... creating SMTP socket ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: asmtp 587 - quickie faq submission
    ... FAQ Submission: ASMTP ... Allow the SMTP server to authenticate users before allowing them to ... Ok, how about with Sendmail? ... This requires the installation of the cyrus-sasl port. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems
    ... You should have no problems switching to Postfix, since it is basically Sendmail with a nicer wrapper/configuration. ... Sendmail was installed with the base install and recompiled ... sets up a DAEMON port. ... creating SMTP socket ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems
    ... Sendmail - IMAP-UW - Cyrus-SASL2 - SMTPAUTH problems ... Sendmail was installed with the base install and recompiled ... listen on port 25 but the standard mc file distributed with FreeBSD ... creating SMTP socket ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: milter wants erase sendmail
    ... i use bundle sendmail and milter greylist on my e-mail freebsd server. ... But I use sendmail+tls+sasl2 port. ... I should deinstall sendmail+tls+sasl, install ... This way you will get exactly the same package originating from mail/sendmail. ...
    (freebsd-questions)