Re: asmtp 587 - quickie faq submission

From: Lupe Christoph (lupe@lupe-christoph.de)
Date: 09/11/02

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:12:06 +0200
To: Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
From: lupe@lupe-christoph.de (Lupe Christoph)

With suggested tweaks.

 *) How do I enable ASMTP with sendmail?
    To implement ASMTP, you must install a sendmail with SASL compiled
    in. This requires the installation of the cyrus-sasl port.
    You can then either recompile the system's sendmail as detailed in
    /etc/defaults/make.conf (look for SASL) or install the sendmail-sasl
    port, and replace the default sendmail with the one from that port.

    Either edit /etc/mail/sendmail.cf to allow PLAIN AUTH (change
    AuthMechanisms to contain PLAIN), or (better) create a new sendmail.cf.

    Some help for this can be obtained from:
      http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html
    More background is contained in
      http://www.sendmail.org/~gshapiro/security.pdf

    The FAQ authors would appreciate a report from somebody who has
    actually used sendmail with ASMTP to augment this entry.

Lupe Christoph

--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| Big Misunderstandings #6398: The Titanic was not supposed to be        |