Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

From: Mark Murray (mark@grondar.za)
Date: 08/28/02

To: peter.lai@uconn.edu
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:51:05 +0100
From: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>

> A better comparison would be freebsd-stable. Every and any problem
> that people have they will send there as long as uname -r says
> xxx-STABLE. This includes things like 'i can't do foo anymore after
> upgrading' to debugging of a kernel. The SNR of that list is much
> lower than here. Some questions typically get drowned out
> by other ones that people on this list would deem off-topic.
> I don't see discussions there about appropriate content either.
> If you are lamenting about SNR, propose to make this list
> technical and not general. Furthermore, you can also set an example
> by not group-replying to mail you think is off-topic. It all
> comes down to the mentality of the subscribers. If people here
> habitually digress, then that is the nature of this list.

Very nicely put!

HOWEVER, this list is _supposed_ to be technical and not general
already. My efforts are now aimed towards enforcing this.

> There is a "charter" but all it says is:
> "FREEBSD-SECURITY
> Security issues
>
> FreeBSD computer security issues (DES, Kerberos, known security
> holes and fixes, etc). This is a technical mailing list for which
> strictly technical content is expected."

Once we conclude this discussion, I will fix this :-)

> Well, at least it says that chatter is discouraged (such as complaining
> about spam) but it doesn't limit what 'technical' questions are being asked.
> "I can't implement foo in IPSEC. Has someone done 'foo' with IPSEC before,
> and how?" seems to be a legitimate technical question to me.

Point taken. When the time comes, I will propose a replacement for the
above charter and see what you folks think.

> Yes, telling people to RTFM where there is no FM to read is silly
> (or if you need to be Jordan Hubbard to understand it).

Quite. Remember that FreeBSD is a community project; this is folks'
chance to contribute! With a bit of leadership (which I am attempting
to provide), useful FMs for folks to read should be available. :-)

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn

  • Re: FreeBSD NAT-T patch integration
    ... IPsec is about security and not features. ... mostly evenings and weekends that I can spend on FreeBSD. ... People ask about review. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: if_ipsec
    ... I am personally responsible for the network infrastructure of the company. ... My company network infrastructure is build using FreeBSD servers and Cisco equipment. ... The conventional way to build vpn is to build a tunnel of some sort. ... So, the industry invented a method: you use a gre/ipinip tunnel, you pass the dynamic routing information, and you encrypt this tunnel with ipsec. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • if_ipsec
    ... I am personally responsible for the network infrastructure of the company. ... My company network infrastructure is build using FreeBSD servers and Cisco equipment. ... The conventional way to build vpn is to build a tunnel of some sort. ... So, the industry invented a method: you use a gre/ipinip tunnel, you pass the dynamic routing information, and you encrypt this tunnel with ipsec. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Requesting assistance: IPsec-configured FreeBSD system sends unencrypted packets on the wrong in
    ... I'm setting up an IPsec tunnel between a OpenBSD/isakmpd box and a ... The FreeBSD server also runs OpenVPN, ... tcpdump shows packets destined for OPENBSD_NET (coming from ... 0x08ae310d auth hmac-sha2-256 enc aes ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • vpn1/fw1 NG to ipsec/racoon troubles, help please ...
    ... I have a freebsd related ipsec question. ... checkpoint box and tunnel into our network from home. ... VPN1 side is set up to reflect my freebsd configuration. ... racoon configuration parameters are set to 3des,md5,w/pfs ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)