Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

From: Darren Henderson (darren@nighttide.net)
Date: 08/28/02

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:26:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Mark Murray wrote:

> I would very much like to make this list subscriber-only. This will
> cut down dramatically on spam and the inevitable misdirected
:
:
> Comments? Suggestions? (Keep it brief and focussed, folks!)

Please do so.

Most people who get agitated about doing this are reading from one place
and posting from many. Its relatively simple to arrange something that
allows you to read and post from a single location. The general benefit to
the list out weighs the perceived effort that must be used by a few to
accommodate the change.

  • Gwaanin
    ... Saw Mark Murray over Christmas on a visit here from HK. ... He told me you guys were thinking of decamping to a web forum. ... There is lots of spam in here. ...
    (rec.music.hip-hop)
  • Long Package from UK to USA, Cheapest Options?
    ... 2cm Depth & weighs 300 grams ... Economy @ £16.75 ... I think the buyer is going to want to pass on this @ £16.75 for postage ... Delete SPAM to Reply ...
    (uk.people.consumers.ebay)