Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

From: Mark Murray (mark@grondar.za)
Date: 08/27/02

To: Ju Ichi <freebsd-security@ichi.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:35:33 +0100
From: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>

> I've posted a couple of times recently looking for a solution to what
> I believe is/was a fairly involved, security-related problem. If by
> doing so, I contrubuted to the noise on the list, I am truly sorry.

No Problemo.

> Being fairly new to FreeBSD, I was not sure where to go. So, I
> posted to freebsd-questions first, then to freebsd-net, and finally
> to freebsd-security. The latter is the only one that I received any
> answers from. I really appreciate the answers too! They helped my
> by giving me food for thought and while my problem is not solved, I
> was able to dig into places I didn't know about owing to my being
> fairly new to FreeBSD and the IPSec implmentation/utilities not being
> throughly documented. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about
> the lack of documentation. I understand that most everyone is doing
> this out of a love of it and with limited time.

Cool. This gives some pointers for useful ways to proceed.

Are you any good at documenting stuff?

> To cut to the chase, there doesn't seem to be a charter or detailed
> set of guidlines for this list.

Good feedback. I will fix this.

> Without quoting the handbook completely, it says that a) this is a
> list for "security issues", and b) it is a "technical mailing list for
> which strictly technical content is expected." So, even given all the
> discussion, I am unsure as to whether I added to the noise problem or
> not.

A really useful activity is to help compile an FAQ (both the Q and the A).

Wanna contribute? :-)

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn

  • Re: A quality operating system
    ... To me as a sysadmin and developer, documentation ... Documentation doesn't just cover binaries in FreeBSD. ... against people who have to use these operating systems to get anything ... knowledge and examples in mailing lists, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: Upgrading 5.3 > 6.0 buildworld failure now in libmagic
    ... >>> FreeBSD is ... >> that seem to be a regular occurrence on freebsd lists whenever someone ... >> advice that has been given or even freebsd or its documentation. ... >> out that a motherboard hardware failure was the casue of the upgrade ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Summary of the Documentation Working Group at the BSDCan 2013 DevSummit
    ... this a summary of the doc working group at the BSDCan 2013 DevSummit ... The documentation working group had formulated a number of topics on ... handbook into FreeBSD 9.X-only world, ... Topic #7 and 8: Blanket doc commit rights ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • FreeBSD Status Report July-September, 2011
    ... FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report - Q3/2011 ... This report covers FreeBSD-related projects between July and September ... The FreeBSD German Documentation Project Status Report ... FreeBSD Haskell Ports ...