[openssh-unix-announce] Re: Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability

From: Markus Friedl (markus@openbsd.org)
Date: 06/24/02

From: Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org>
To: openssh-unix-announce@mindrot.org, openssh-unix-dev@mindrot.org
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:06:31 +0200

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 03:00:10PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> [...]
> work with your vendor so that we get patches to make it work on your
> system. Our developers are swamped enough without trying to support
> the myriad of PAM and other issues which exist in various systems.
> You must call on your vendors to help us.
>
> Basically, OpenSSH sshd(8) is something like 27000 lines of code. A
> lot of that runs as root. But when UsePrivilegeSeparation is enabled,
> the daemon splits into two parts. A part containing about 2500 lines
> of code remains as root, and the rest of the code is shoved into a
> chroot-jail without any privs. This makes the daemon less vulnerable
> to attack.
>
> We've been trying to warn vendors about 3.3 and the need for privsep,
> but they really have not heeded our call for assistance. They have
> basically ignored us. Some, like Alan Cox, even went further stating
> that privsep was not being worked on because "Nobody provided any info
> which proves the problem, and many people dont trust you theo" and
> suggested I "might be feeding everyone a trojan" (I think I'll publish
> that letter -- it is just so funny). HP's representative was
> downright rude, but that is OK because Compaq is retiring him. Except
> for Solar Designer, I think none of them has helped the OpenSSH
> portable developers make privsep work better on their systems.
> Apparently Solar Designer is the only person who understands the need
> for this stuff.
>
> So, if vendors would JUMP and get it working better, and send us
> patches IMMEDIATELY, we can perhaps make a 3.3.1p release on Friday
> which supports these systems better. So send patches by Thursday
> night please. Then on Tuesday or Wednesday the complete bug report
> with patches (and exploits soon after I am sure) will hit BUGTRAQ.
>
> Let me repeat: even if the bug exists in a privsep'd sshd, it is not
> exploitable. Clearly we cannot yet publish what the bug is, or
> provide anyone with the real patch, but we can try to get maximum
> deployement of privsep, and therefore make it hurt less when the
> problem is published.
>
> So please push your vendor to get us maximally working privsep patches
> as soon as possible!
>
> We've given most vendors since Friday last week until Thursday to get
> privsep working well for you so that when the announcement comes out
> next week their customers are immunized. That is nearly a full week
> (but they have already wasted a weekend and a Monday). Really I think
> this is the best we can hope to do (this thing will eventually leak,
> at which point the details will be published).
>
> Customers can judge their vendors by how they respond to this issue.
>
> OpenBSD and NetBSD users should also update to OpenSSH 3.3 right away.
> On OpenBSD privsep works flawlessly, and I have reports that is also
> true on NetBSD. All other systems appear to have minor or major
> weaknesses when this code is running.
>
> (securityfocus postmaster; please post this through immediately, since

  • Re: Hogwash
    ... Subject: Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability ... Depending on what your system is, privsep may break some ssh ... work with your vendor so that we get patches to make it work on your ... You must call on your vendors to help us. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability
    ... OpenSSH 3.3p was released a few days ago, ... Depending on what your system is, privsep may break some ssh ... work with your vendor so that we get patches to make it work on your ... You must call on your vendors to help us. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [VulnWatch] OpenSSH 3.2 vulnerability requiring "priv. separation"
    ... OpenSSH 3.3p was released a few days ago, ... Depending on what your system is, privsep may break some ssh ... work with your vendor so that we get patches to make it work on your ... You must call on your vendors to help us. ...
    (VulnWatch)
  • Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability (fwd)
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • [VulnWatch] Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability
    ... There is an upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability that we're working on with ISS. ... Depending on what your system is, privsep may break some ssh functionality. ... vendors to help us. ... So, if vendors would JUMP and get it working better, and send us patches ...
    (VulnWatch)