Re: Password security

From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav (des@ofug.org)
Date: 06/20/02

To: "Eric F Crist" <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Date: 20 Jun 2002 10:44:32 +0200

"Eric F Crist" <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com> writes:
> What I failed to point out was that, if you're using FreeBSD, which I
> assume you as you're posting to this group, the FreeBSD login utility
> still only recognizes 8 character passwords, unless you've changed that.

Wrong. The 8-character limit was imposed by the traditional DES-based
password hashing algorithm, not by login(1). By default, FreeBSD uses
an MD5-based hash, and supports passwords of arbitrary length.

DES

--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org

  • Re: Swap File / Swapping computers?
    ... > passwords once every month, ... install... ... How does FreeBSD work at ... around in UNIX, I have setup FreeBSD, an FTP server, a DNS server, Webmin, ...
    (freebsd-isp)
  • Re: Encrypted Password Portability Between releases
    ... > have a number of machines running various versions of FreeBSD from ... > generated through passwords which are currently being stored in plain ... Is there a way to encrypt a password on ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Safe SSH logins from public, untrusted Windows computers
    ... Even with one time passwords you never know ... you to grab a cup of coffee in order to take control of your session ... "Don't use untrusted machines." ... Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/ ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Antisniffer measures (digest of posts)
    ... > FreeBSD, Linux, Win9x, WinME, WInNT, WIn2000. ... If you want to replace hubs with switches, ... If it's only POP3 & HTML passwords you're worried about, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: system passwords file
    ... > machine to freebsd ... > linux machine. ... > with all the users and their passwords. ... > That just transfer the user details and not the system ...
    (freebsd-hackers)