Re: CDs with patched Apache?

From: Brett Glass (brett@lariat.org)
Date: 06/18/02

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:45:52 -0600
To: Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>

At 07:05 AM 6/18/2002, Eric Anderson wrote:

>Maybe FreeBSD needs an "security update check" tool built into sysinstall, that
>will do something like:
>
>If system is being installed from the net, or installing packages from the net,
>automatically grab the update list, and show user possible security risks -
>possibly asking the user if they would like to upgrade their package/system
>right then.

Excellent idea!

>I think most commercial admins subscribe to the security lists, and will "do the
>right thing", but it's the other half of the FreeBSD users that I would worry
>about.

And even a professional admin can sometimes miss a notice. They're
not superhuman, y'know.

>There is a reason that almost all OS's are using this tactic to get updates and
>patches installed. If this was a seperate tool, it could be used to easily show
>the admin what packages are at risk on the box, without the need to manually
>match up pkg's installed versus packages at risk.

Not only OSes, but other products such as virus checkers, spyware checkers....
Even tax preparation programs. Nowadays, when one sells ANY product on CD,
it's a good bet that it will be stale upon arrival. This includes FreeBSD.
The installer should anticipate this, as the installers for commercial
products do.

--Brett

  • Re: mentor
    ... > freebsd disks as a gift from a gentleman i met through ... > dependencies upon dependencies or packages in the ... Pay particular attention to the sections on 'Installing FreeBSD', ... 'Installing Packages and Ports' and Appendix A: ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Where is Phobos P430 QFE X1034A Driver
    ... The following packages are available: ... Installing Phobos P430 Adapter Driver for 32 bit PCI QuadPort ... devfsadm: driver failed to attach: pqfe ...
    (comp.sys.sun.admin)
  • Re: pkg_add -r gcc33 -> filesystem is full
    ... >I'm new this unix software and after the easy steps of installing ... >FreeBSD I've a problem installing more software. ... >FreeBSD into downloading packages from there when doing pkg_add? ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: OpenCOBOL/GNUCobol
    ... Did you compile the compiler AND run make check ... packages and it can never seem to resolve all the conflicts. ... GNU Cobol MAY require the following external library to be installed: ... NOTE - libltdl is NOT needed when installing on Linux, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Why no R in Fedora (was Statistical Package (like Minitab) for Linux)
    ... > The fedora rpm provided at the CRAN site contains very few add-on ... > packages would provide a large amount of functionality. ... > Users can easily install.packageson top of this more stuff from CRAN. ... > I always seem to end up installing a few packages eg. lineno, ...
    (Fedora)