Re: Linux/Windows Virus

From: Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group (Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca)
Date: 06/10/02

From: Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:05:17 -0700

Let's hope that's the case. I suspect that you could be right that
it's unlikely to spread, however I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude,
e.g. this is nothing to be alarmed about yet.

--
Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766
>     Pah.  It looks pretty stupid to me.  I see lots of articles hyping the
>     thing up and prognasticating the first 'multi platform' virus, but not
>     a single solid report of an actual infection and not a single
>     description of the transmission vector other then vague guesses
>     that it might be remote-shell related (aka like an old ssh hole).
>     It is highly unlikely that even an old, vulnerable sshd running on
>     FreeBSD could be infected by this thing.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>
>
> :This should probably concern anyone using Linux emulation under
> :FreeBSD.  I suspect that it may also attempt to infect FreeBSD
> :binaries, rendering them useless.
> :
> :http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/linux.simile.html
> :
> :Be careful what you run.
> :
> :
> :--
> :Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
> :Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766
> :Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
> :Open Systems Group, CITS
> :Ministry of Management Services
> :Province of BC
> :                    FreeBSD UNIX:  cy@FreeBSD.org
> :
> :

  • Re: Download.Trojan Virus
    ... The single infected machine I saw was before this reference was published, ... and suspect that the problem is broader than this one example. ... Trojan Virus ... > | Then I ran A scan and it found no infection. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • kernel probe of NICs
    ... i'm new to FreeBSD and grateful for it. ... i've installed one machine no problems but on another a suspect ... ethernet interface has developed. ... When i sent to installing FreeBSD no card was detected ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: taskbar doesnt appear, some programs dont open
    ... Mode (without network support)? ... could be an infection, too (and by your symptoms that is what I suspect is ... and then ran Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware-6? ...
  • Re: how can I burn a *.rr image?
    ... I'm not intending to always point at hardware just to defend FreeBSD at ... relatively low performance and not very demanding driver to get the ... > Although I suspect they'd just blow me off. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: My Hotmail Account is getting Returned Email I never sent
    ... which is what led me to suspect an infection ... seeminly corresponding outgoing mail, seemingly addressed to multiple ... I suspect they could be double suffixes and really be Exe's. ... Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)