Re: Linux/Windows Virus

From: Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group (
Date: 06/10/02

From: Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <>
To: Matthew Dillon <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:05:17 -0700

Let's hope that's the case. I suspect that you could be right that
it's unlikely to spread, however I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude,
e.g. this is nothing to be alarmed about yet.

Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:
Open Systems Group, CITS
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC
                    FreeBSD UNIX:
In message <>, Matthew
Dillon w
>     Pah.  It looks pretty stupid to me.  I see lots of articles hyping the
>     thing up and prognasticating the first 'multi platform' virus, but not
>     a single solid report of an actual infection and not a single
>     description of the transmission vector other then vague guesses
>     that it might be remote-shell related (aka like an old ssh hole).
>     It is highly unlikely that even an old, vulnerable sshd running on
>     FreeBSD could be infected by this thing.
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<>
> :This should probably concern anyone using Linux emulation under
> :FreeBSD.  I suspect that it may also attempt to infect FreeBSD
> :binaries, rendering them useless.
> :
> :
> :
> :Be careful what you run.
> :
> :
> :--
> :Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
> :Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766
> :Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:
> :Open Systems Group, CITS
> :Ministry of Management Services
> :Province of BC
> :                    FreeBSD UNIX: