Re: WARNING! New GNU Tar in 5-CURRENT could erroneously create world writeable dirs

From: Dan Nelson (dnelson@allantgroup.com)
Date: 06/07/02

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 21:28:30 -0500
From: Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>

In the last episode (Jun 06), Trevor Johnson said:
> > I've just noticed that something wrong with the new tar in the base
> > system (1.13.25) - when extracting some archives it creates 777 dirs,
> > while permissions in the archive itself are OK (for example GNU make
> > make-3.79.1.tar.gz - top level dir gets 777 as well as several
> > other lowel level dirs). The issue is under investigation.
>
> The latest version on ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/ is 1.13. The ones on
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/tar/ (and everything else on that site) are
> considered unstable. I suppose it's too late to suggest tar 1.13 as a
> starting point, but maybe this could be kept in mind when importing other
> GNU products.

Tar 1.13 is 3 years old, and has many bugs (incremental backups are
unusable, for example).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

  • Re: WARNING! New GNU Tar in 5-CURRENT could erroneously createworld writeable dirs
    ... In the last episode, Trevor Johnson said: ... >> I've just noticed that something wrong with the new tar in the base ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: New Preview for Episode 6
    ... Both tribes definitely go to TC, James doesn't look as crippled ... time" preview at the end of the last episode. ... game....they need to show that stuff on a sports channel. ... some might argue that TAR belongs on "The Travel ...
    (alt.tv.survivor)
  • Re: New Preview for Episode 6
    ... James doesn't look as crippled as he did ... in the last episode, Rupert is torn over whether to vote out James or ... basketball game....they need to show that stuff on a sports channel. ... "March Madness" has been televised by CBS long before TAR came ...
    (alt.tv.survivor)
  • Re: help with tar|rsh tar
    ... In the last episode, Nikolas Britton said: ... I was thinking tar -f as in file.tar but it's not, ... Anyone know why load is so high on hostA, is it because I used tar -v? ...
    (freebsd-questions)