Re: You've Been Removed!

From: Mark Murray (mark@grondar.za)
Date: 05/06/02

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 11:10:12 +0100
From: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>

> I think the lists should remain open. A perfect solution would be
> to have the mail system keep a database of originators (From: and
> the first Received: header). Whenever it sees an email from someone
> not in the database it would request that the person acknowledge
> that they really intended to send the email and, if they do, their
> email goes through and they are added to the database (so it only
> asks them once).

How does that differ from subscription+autodeleting-list-content?

> I've been contemplating writing such a beast for myself, since 90%
> of the email I receive these days is spam. I'm sure others have
> written similar things so I'm wondering if there is a solution out
> there already. At some point I'm going to write mine (as a standalone
> MX relay so it could be tied into any system), when I have more time
> available.

Existing mailing list managers can already do this. It effectively makes
it easy to join the list, but not receive the list contents.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn
#text/plain; name=cv.doc [Mark Murray CV Plain Text] cv.doc
#application/octet-stream; name=cv.pdf [Mark Murray CV PDF] cv.pdf

  • Re: Getting a list of list permissions for WSS
    ... this on a backup copy of the database so you're not hitting the live DB. ... Now when you run the script and refresh the SPS Event List which this ... my departmental Event Lists roll-up flawlessly to a single Portal list. ...
  • Re: The Sorrows of Record Cataloguing
    ... but the database ... needed was a list so that I wouldn't buy records or CDs over again. ... to see on the shelves and were in alpha-order by composer. ... recordings, there is an entirely different set of lists -- five lists, ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Are you one of the EIGHT MILLION who will be arrested when Bush declares martial law in October?
    ... Called "Main Core," the database's origins date back to the 1980s when ... "There exists a database ... of Americans, who, often for the slightest and most trivial reason, ... called someone on those lists, you get added to the master list. ...
    (alt.politics)
  • www.CeBeans.com - new program listings - Dec 17 2007
    ... This program is a database of 24 Christmas/Holdiay tips for a safe season. ... This program is a database of 24 cooking email lists that you can subscribe ... The object of this game is to use your taser gun to shoot down the birds ... Free man every round after five. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • RE: Project issues list load time
    ... the whole database. ... Jay, MCP ... > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ... >>> occur with all large Issues lists not just certain ones. ...
    (microsoft.public.sharepoint.teamservices)