Re: You've Been Removed!

From: Mark Murray (
Date: 05/06/02

To: Matthew Dillon <>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 11:10:12 +0100
From: Mark Murray <>

> I think the lists should remain open. A perfect solution would be
> to have the mail system keep a database of originators (From: and
> the first Received: header). Whenever it sees an email from someone
> not in the database it would request that the person acknowledge
> that they really intended to send the email and, if they do, their
> email goes through and they are added to the database (so it only
> asks them once).

How does that differ from subscription+autodeleting-list-content?

> I've been contemplating writing such a beast for myself, since 90%
> of the email I receive these days is spam. I'm sure others have
> written similar things so I'm wondering if there is a solution out
> there already. At some point I'm going to write mine (as a standalone
> MX relay so it could be tied into any system), when I have more time
> available.

Existing mailing list managers can already do this. It effectively makes
it easy to join the list, but not receive the list contents.

o       Mark Murray
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn
#text/plain; name=cv.doc [Mark Murray CV Plain Text] cv.doc
#application/octet-stream; name=cv.pdf [Mark Murray CV PDF] cv.pdf
To Unsubscribe: send mail to