Re: can't su to root

From: Erik Trulsson (ertr1013@student.uu.se)
Date: 03/28/02

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:16:25 +0100
From: Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To: "Radzivilyuk V.O." <radzivilyuk@itt.net.ua>

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:08:42PM +0200, Radzivilyuk V.O. wrote:
> hi.
>
> Have FreeBSD 4.3.release
> Can't su to root.
> Sure type right password.
> $su
> Password:
> Sorry
> $
>
> Accept only if login as root.
> Reinstall binary & kernel source
> + reboot, config -r CORE, make depend, make, make install, reboot
> Have still the same.
>
> Help understand the reason.

You must be a member of the wheel group to be able to su to root.
You can check what groups you belong to with the groups(1) command.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson

  • RE: One method to recover a lost root password
    ... How I recovered a lost root password in FreeBSD ... remove the CD and reboot the original system. ... cgadmin in my case ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: One method to recover a lost root password
    ... How I recovered a lost root password in FreeBSD ... remove the CD and reboot the original system. ... cgadmin in my case ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Locked Myself Out - Cannot "su"
    ... > root login from everywhere, including the console (The box isn't ... I just checked /etc/group and my username is NOT in the wheel group. ... I'm not in front the system right now to reboot it into single user ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Canon printer and TurboPrint
    ... line to /etc/rc.conf (as root) ... If you want to do a better one refer to the Printing section in the FreeBSD ... I have tried TurboPrint on FreeBSD and it works. ... With this last command you see some new programs installed from the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Locked Myself Out - Cannot "su"
    ... I've been working on hardening my FreeBSD 6.2-Stable box. ... root login from everywhere, including the console (The box isn't ... didn't reboot after making all these changes to harden ...
    (freebsd-questions)