Kernel error?? Hacked?? Bad NIC??

From: krzysztof Strzelczyk (cs052279@yahoo.com)
Date: 03/25/02

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:32:07 -0800 (PST)
From: krzysztof Strzelczyk <cs052279@yahoo.com>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org

Hello,

     I'm getting some weird actively from my primary
DNS server. I have two aliases to one NIC that box as
it also acts as a non-anonymous ftp server.

Interface fxp0
IP is xxx.xxx.xxx.11
alias0 is xxx.xxx.xxx.4
alias1 is xxx.xxx.xxx.15

I can send and receive ping requests from this
interface however I can only ping the .15 alias. The
.11 ip address and the .4 alias return 'sendto: host
down'. Is this a sign of a NIC going bad??

Here is that latest actively in my logs that I can not
explain:

>opensocket_f: bind ([xxx.xxx.xxx.11]): can't assign
requested address.

>Using kernel phase-lock loop 2040
>Using kernel phase-lock loop 2041

>Kernel pll status change 2040
>Kernel pll status change 2041

It almost smells like someone has hacked this box and
disabled ping to the IPs he wants to use for his
purposes. How could I best check on this? Is there a
way to disable ping to certain IP addresses on a NIC.
IPF is not loaded on this box.

Thanks for any help
-chris