su -c user command not working

From: Fernan Aguero (fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar)
Date: 03/22/02

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:58:17 -0300
From: Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To: FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>

I wonder if this is security related.

Basically I'd like to know if this has been disabled for security
reasons.

According to su(1) you can do something like:
su man -c catman
  Runs the command catman as user man. You will be asked for man's
  password unless your real UID is 0.

However, I am refused to run the example in this way (I am root, of
course).

root> su man -c catman
This account is currently not available.

man is listed in /etc/passwd with /sbin/nologin as shell

I'd also like to know why my ~/.cshrc is not read when I log in or
open an xterm. I have to source it every time. Is this also related to
the previous issue (disabled for some reason?)

I am running FreeBSD-4.3 (RELENG_4_3), and except for some minor
things haven't done major configuration or editing of system base
defaults.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers,

Fernan

  • Re: Some one has stolen the world wide wibble
    ... Catman said: ... Undoubtedly someone will (or AIUI has already) write some viruses. ... for reasons that have been iterated a billion times in ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Re: OT: What a fucking shambles
    ... In article, Catman ... One of the reasons why there are so many wogs illegally entering this ... country is directly because of the reduction of front line workers in ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Secret Six line-up.
    ... Catman has been shown to have an unusual sense of honor since Gail ... he just wants into the bustier (for different reasons than Ragdoll's). ... Once you've seen Bane rip a guy's limb off and beat him with ...
    (rec.arts.comics.dc.universe)
  • Re: Some one has stolen the world wide wibble
    ... Catman said: ... for reasons that have been iterated a billion times in ... the OS jihads, OS X simply won't let them have the same ... but the chance is always there. ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Re: several questions
    ... > reasons be?And how could I restore the users account with least loss? ... Log in as root - ONE ... editor like vi or dtpad that doesn't do any locking, ... > them from editing the password at the same time and let them edit it ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)