Re: sshd UseLogin option

From: Rasputin (rasputin@shikima.mine.nu)
Date: 03/14/02

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:48:59 +0000
From: Rasputin <rasputin@shikima.mine.nu>
To: "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>

* Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd@over-yonder.net> [020313 16:29]:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 02:51:40PM +0100 I heard the voice of
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav, and lo! it spake thus:
> > Could someone please explain to me why we don't use sshd's UseLogin
> > option by default? I know that there was a security hole related to
> > that option recently, but that's not a real reason - security holes
> > can show up anywhere - so is there anything that makes UseLogin a
> > particularly bad idea?
>
> On a side note, it sure would be nifty if UseLogin actually used login(1),
> which it didn't last I checked. Noticed-by: /etc/login.access strangely
> not applying to ssh connections.

I think that's fixed now - I was able to bounce incoming ssh
session using login.access last month, anyway.

--
"You can bring any calculator you like to the midterm, as long as it
doesn't dim the lights when you turn it on."

  • Re: sshd UseLogin option
    ... >> Could someone please explain to me why we don't use sshd's UseLogin ... I know that there was a security hole related to ... Nate ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: sshd UseLogin option
    ... > Could someone please explain to me why we don't use sshd's UseLogin ... I know that there was a security hole related to ... Crap! ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: sshd UseLogin option
    ... it spake thus: ... > Could someone please explain to me why we don't use sshd's UseLogin ... I know that there was a security hole related to ... but that's not a real reason - security holes ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: sshd UseLogin option
    ... > Could someone please explain to me why we don't use sshd's UseLogin ... I know that there was a security hole related to ... Who uses system passwords with ssh? ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • sshd UseLogin option
    ... Could someone please explain to me why we don't use sshd's UseLogin ... I know that there was a security hole related to ... DES ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)