Re: http://users.uk.freebsd.org/~juha/

From: Richard Ward (mh@homenetweb.com)
Date: 03/04/02

From: "Richard Ward" <mh@homenetweb.com>
To: "David" <habeeb@cfl.rr.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:17:50 -0500

David,

   From what I can see, it looks as if they've just guessed a possible weak
password in the 'juha' account. Most defacement "hackers" wouldn't pass up
an opportunity to deface the main domain, if they had access to it. I don't
think that users.uk.freebsd.org was compromised to give these people any
special access above a user account. That's just my opinion. However, I
would alert the users.uk.freebsd.org administration about this as soon as
possible; for it shouldn't be taken lightly.

What always bugged me was how poor spelling these so called "hackers"
display.

--
Richard Ward, GM
Home Net Web, Inc.