Re: sendmail ; bogus letters

From: Michael Scheidell (scheidell@secnap.net)
Date: 02/20/02

From: "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell@secnap.net>
To: <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 20:48:35 -0500

While I do like th ewokr julian does at spamcop, if what you say is true,
then everon using that list should know that they can be denied 100% email
if someone decides to spoof complaints (revenge reports)
Most rbl's are good_ let you know how thye list, why they list and at least
say they doublecheck.
I got hit by a 'you are a spammer' bounce when complainig to an admin about
spam!
finally tracked it down to selwart.?sp? list. says its been on the list
since 94.
With more people using the free lists (without checking them) and more spam
(500% increase this year) this means more people are going to loose email.

email to him and replies (I will share if anyone wants to know)
Q'I am rabidly anti spam - how did we get listed'
A'you use an ip address that is leased by uunet and the admin of your system
sounds like a troll'

(yep, his list blocks ALL uunet addresses, and he wouldn't even consider a
client who never spammed because he thought he was a troll)

so, I have a 100% solution, the SECNAP rbl. it lista (by cname) all 223 /8
CIDR blocks.
you use it like any other rbl, and since every routable (and reserved) ip
address is in the rbl, it pretty much means you won't get spammed!
(ps, yes, spam is a security issue, its the easiest way to deliver a trojan
to an luser but the sendmail questions need to be taken to another list
anyway
try comp.mail.sendmail usenet list.

--
Michael Scheidell
SECNAP Network Security, LLC

  • Re: Spam Checkers
    ... > Just curious if anybody has had any success with the Spam Checkers ... What you want is one that can access external, dynamic, blocking lists in ... spammer himself. ... If the responsible ISP does not evict the spammer, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: SORRY...forgot to add...
    ... for folks with large mailing lists it turns out to be inconvenient. ... I UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE SPAM, BUT AGAIN I SAY WHAT GOOD IS IT IF THEY ... BUT ALSO IT'S A BOTHER FOR THE RECIPIENTS WHO ... WOULD STOP MY MSGS FROM GETTING SENT OUT BECAUSE FO THE AMOUNT ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress)
  • Re: spam avoidance (was Re: cpu speed problem)
    ... I get no more that 1 spam message a week out of maybe a 1000 messages. ... bringing up, the separation of public and private mail, in general. ... And some communication does not belong on a public list. ... I read messages from the public lists. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: cobol data format!!! urgent!!!
    ... >No. Monty Python did a song: Spam, Spam, Spam. ... "Take Jakob Nielsen, Internet Usability Guru. ... Lists used to announce talks, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 83, Issue 1
    ... Invitation to connect on LinkedIn ... grab a list and then spam people. ... By clicking on the https link at the bottom of my own message.I ... If those services mine email address' lists from the user accounts, ...
    (Ubuntu)