Re: Port 113 Traffic

From: Martin McCormick (martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu)
Date: 02/04/02

To: freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:14:44 -0600
From: Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>

        Thank you to all of you who have answered.

        One of the first things I did was to look in
/etc/services which is what I usually do if there is a question
about what this or that port is used for and it did show up as
auth, all right. A man on auth yielded the auth_getval function
in C and not much else so I knew it was some kind of
authorization engine and that's where my trail ran a bit cold.

        I checked out ident and learned what rcs is for, but
never found any reference to auth so I greatly appreciate the
information that links it with sendmail, etc.

        I may block it experimentally and see if anything does
break since I have ipfw running and it is a simple matter to add
a new rule or remove it later. Sendmail is the only service I am
running that I might break by closing that port so I will close
it and see if sendmail still runs.

Martin

Andrew Kenneth Milton writes:
>113 is the ident/auth port.
>
>There are a number of things that query the ident port, IRC servers,
>sendmail, and squid to name a few. It's probably nothing to be worried about.
>
>If you block it and something stops working, I'm sure someone will scream
>at you d8)
>
>--
>Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet| | Andrew Milton
>The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd | |
>ACN: 082 081 472 ABN: 83 082 081 472 | M:+61 416 022 411 | Carpe Daemon
>PO Box 837 Indooroopilly QLD 4068 |akm@theinternet.com.au|

  • Re: Port 2525 Test sendmail
    ... force the test mail to use port 2525. ... I think your question has two parts; how to get your local sendmail ... I suspect you have simply set your daemon port option to listen to ... then you will have to create a custom mailer. ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Newb questions
    ... > times, configured cvsup, used port upgrade and all the rest. ... > it's easy to get lost in the documentation and still not figure it out. ... entries in /etc/make.conf so the port version doesn't get clobbered. ... getting Sendmail usable can be a short cut to getting over the initial setup ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Port 2525 Test sendmail
    ... force the test mail to use port 2525. ... I think your question has two parts; how to get your local sendmail ... I suspect you have simply set your daemon port option to listen to ... then you will have to create a custom mailer. ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: sendmail problem
    ... but it's port 25 only on localhost. ... All of these are "open to the world" except as limited by your perimeter ... I don't use DHCP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: daemon MTA-IPv4: Problem creating SMTP socket?
    ... So whatever is squatting your machine's port 25 hasn't been found ... The netstat command doesn't list processes, ... For this round, however, whe know there is a sendmail process and ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)