Re: Controlling Cron Logging

From: Bob K (melange@yip.org)
Date: 01/28/02

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:27:45 -0500
From: Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To: Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 09:20:35AM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> I have a syslog file which is set up to log as follows:
>
> *.info;auth.info;mail.warning /var/log/syslog
>
> That appears to work well. Now, I wanted to refine
> things a bit and not see cron logging there so I uncommented the
> line in /etc/syslog.conf which now looks like:
>
> cron.* /var/log/cron
>
> That now sends the cron messages to the file
> /var/log/cron like it should. Is there any way I can cause the
> cron messages to stop going to syslog while leaving it wide open
> for anything but cron?

Changing this line:

> *.info;auth.info;mail.warning /var/log/syslog

so it looks like this:

> *.info;auth.info;mail.warning;cron.none /var/log/syslog

should, in theory, have the effect you seek.

--
Bob <melange@yip.org> | Please don't feed the sock puppet.

  • Controlling Cron Logging
    ... things a bit and not see cron logging there so I uncommented the ... cron messages to stop going to syslog while leaving it wide open ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: [SLE] Help with crontab (NOT SOLVED TO ME)
    ... > So, I did what you suggested and no cron messages are being sent to me, ... > Does crontab understand all bash commands? ... colleague who seems to think that it fails because cron needs to activate the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: deadlock also with 2.6.9 nosmp, and 2.6.10-rc1 nosmp, was Re: deadlock with 2.6.9
    ... I was able to 'killall -9 cron' and kill all of the cron tasks. ... unix_wait_for_peer (sshd), futex_wait, and do_exit (zombie ... > The system is a syslog collector for>100 devices that log everything at ... >> the mirrors had kicked a partition out. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [opensuse] Getting Rid of postfix and exim on my laptop
    ... understand that mailx uses the smtp server to send, ... cron output. ... strap SWATCH onto syslog. ... It would not work for headless machines or text only machines, or machines where the administrator is not logged it. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Finding all cron jobs...
    ... However syslog and messages show a certain htmlgend which is run every ... If it doesn't say it's cron, then it's something other than cron. ... A simple web search shows that htmlgend is part of the wview package. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)