Re: netbsd's daemon(3) fixes.

From: M. Warner Losh (
Date: 01/12/02

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:01:20 -0700 (MST)
From: "M. Warner Losh" <>

In message: <>
            "Crist J . Clark" <> writes:
: On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:21:44 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
: > I saw some recent fixes in netbsd wrt when daemon is called in
: > various daemons, anyone have time to see if this is applicable
: > to us? And whether or not to merge the fixes in?
: If we go back to the recent fixes OpenBSD did first, the cvs logs give
: reasons like,
: daemon() can close innocent file descriptors, including opened log.
: be more carefull about that and nicer to debugging.
: daemon() thingie was pointed out by markus@ .
: So it's not really a security issue that I can see. I'm not sure if I
: understand under what conditions a daemon(3) call will close
: "innocent" file descriptors.

I think we need the change, since innocent file descriptors might be

To Unsubscribe: send mail to