Re: netbsd's daemon(3) fixes.

From: M. Warner Losh (imp@village.org)
Date: 01/12/02

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:01:20 -0700 (MST)
To: cjclark@alum.mit.edu, cristjc@earthlink.net
From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>

In message: <20020111141420.K11553@blossom.cjclark.org>
            "Crist J . Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net> writes:
: On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:21:44 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
: > I saw some recent fixes in netbsd wrt when daemon is called in
: > various daemons, anyone have time to see if this is applicable
: > to us? And whether or not to merge the fixes in?
:
: If we go back to the recent fixes OpenBSD did first, the cvs logs give
: reasons like,
:
: daemon() can close innocent file descriptors, including opened log.
: be more carefull about that and nicer to debugging.
: daemon() thingie was pointed out by markus@ .
:
: So it's not really a security issue that I can see. I'm not sure if I
: understand under what conditions a daemon(3) call will close
: "innocent" file descriptors.

I think we need the change, since innocent file descriptors might be
important.

Warner

  • Re: netbsds daemon(3) fixes.
    ... And whether or not to merge the fixes in? ... daemon() can close innocent file descriptors, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • netbsds daemon(3) fixes.
    ... I saw some recent fixes in netbsd wrt when daemon is called in ... And whether or not to merge the fixes in? ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • ADD: Urgent: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files
    ... The problem is that if I only stop/start the daemon, ... The problem is that if the reboot will effectivelly solve the problem. ... > Did you stop/start Ldap after having changed files descriptors limit? ... >>the problem is that the file descriptors of the system is very low ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: [autofs] automount does not close file descriptors at start
    ... > daemon was fifteen years ago. ... the double-forked daemon. ... and any other file descriptors we've left dangling ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Really closing stdout (was: "fork and exit" needed?)
    ... If you explicitly want to leave file descriptors 0-2 present ... Establish new open descriptors for stdin, stdout and stderr. ... any other combination that makes sense for your particular daemon. ...
    (comp.lang.python)