Re: netbsd's daemon(3) fixes.

From: Crist J . Clark (cristjc@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/11/02

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:14:20 -0800
From: "Crist J . Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:21:44 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> I saw some recent fixes in netbsd wrt when daemon is called in
> various daemons, anyone have time to see if this is applicable
> to us? And whether or not to merge the fixes in?

If we go back to the recent fixes OpenBSD did first, the cvs logs give
reasons like,

  daemon() can close innocent file descriptors, including opened log.
  be more carefull about that and nicer to debugging.
  daemon() thingie was pointed out by markus@ .

So it's not really a security issue that I can see. I'm not sure if I
understand under what conditions a daemon(3) call will close
"innocent" file descriptors.

--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."
                                   |     cjclark@jhu.edu

  • Re: netbsds daemon(3) fixes.
    ... And whether or not to merge the fixes in? ... daemon() can close innocent file descriptors, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • netbsds daemon(3) fixes.
    ... I saw some recent fixes in netbsd wrt when daemon is called in ... And whether or not to merge the fixes in? ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • ADD: Urgent: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files
    ... The problem is that if I only stop/start the daemon, ... The problem is that if the reboot will effectivelly solve the problem. ... > Did you stop/start Ldap after having changed files descriptors limit? ... >>the problem is that the file descriptors of the system is very low ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: [autofs] automount does not close file descriptors at start
    ... > daemon was fifteen years ago. ... the double-forked daemon. ... and any other file descriptors we've left dangling ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • SUMMARY: Urgent: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files
    ... thanks to Antonia Gomez, Darren Dunham, Bernd Schemmer and Yann Geneste), I ... >frequently the ldap daemon stops to work. ... >the problem is that the file descriptors of the system is very low ... I was used the 'plimit' command to view the information of my slapd ...
    (SunManagers)