ICMP from within only

From: Mike D (d01f1n@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/10/01

From: Mike D <d01f1n@yahoo.com>
To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:52:07 +0000

Is it possible to define a rule that will allow through pings and
traceroutes, but only the ones initiated from within the firewall?

Thanks for any advice!

  • Re: Telnet: route to host
    ... >> altogether and traceroutes simply stopped somewhere in the ISPs ... >> that they block pings so as to break one of the viruses, ... > Or switch to an ISP that knows and understands networking. ... the firewall uses a windoze laptop. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: DNS Resolution
    ... No, it is using the firewall in the 831, there is not an external ... trying to do the traceroutes from the router. ... and pings as well now. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: Startup programs
    ... > If you don't wish to follow all of the advice immediately, ... I will assume a "Windows" operating system is what ... If there was more than one, install ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: How do I get the Windows Update icon to stop notifying me of SP2?
    ... If you don't wish to follow all of the advice immediately, ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... If there was more than one, install them back ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Is there such a thing as being over-protected?
    ... > protection you want/feel is adequate. ... It contains advice ... > Windows XP, I suggest you clean up your system first. ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)