Re: (WOT) Re: the best edited picture ever

From: Chris Thomas (resopmok@gramsc1.dyndns.org)
Date: 12/06/01

From: Chris Thomas <resopmok@gramsc1.dyndns.org>
To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 05:31:06 -0500

folks-
        I'm very sorry to have spammed the list, and I certainly did not mean to
incite a flame war over it. It was purely an accident on my part; I meant to
send this email to a friend of mine and didn't notice I had done the wrong
thing until I came back and saw 20 messages on the topic. I receive lots of
valuable information through this list, and an incident such as this will not
happen again. My deepest apologies.

-chris

On Thursday 06 December 2001 12:42 am, you wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
> > [on topic? I'd actually like to know what can be done with majordomo
> > to accomplish it; we're having just this problem with a list run from
> > here]
>
> well it looks like hub.freebsd.org is running postfix according to the
> smtp banner, so assuming no one at freebsd wants to receive this type of
> thing, it would be pretty trivial to block most (but not all) of this
> type of stuff with regex checks. this has the advantage of getting rid
> of this junk as early as possible.
>
> assuming pcre body_checks, something like this might work (this is just
> from the postfix-users list; i haven't tested it personally, but
> something like this should work). something similar could be done if
> POSIX regexes are used instead....
>
> (sorry for the long line)

>e|bat|cmd|vxd|scr|shm|dll)"?$/ REJECT
>
> however this would apply to all mail coming into the server... (although
> god knows why anyone at freebsd.org would want to receive this type of
> attachment, especially not zipped or tarred /gzipped.
>
> obviously this would be up to whoever admins the freebsd mail servers...
>
> i haven't used majordomo, so i'm not sure how to do this specifically
> with that software.
>
> > I don't agree that these lists need the large overhead of moderation,
> > if a (hopefully) simple technical fix can drastically reduce the
> > volume of this crap in any and all freebsd lists - including stripping
> > HTML mail.
>
> hopefully so. who is 'officially' in charge of this list? perhaps they
> could let us know if anything can be done regarding this?

  • Re: Gotta start somewhere ... how many of us are really out there?
    ... People like me who only use FreeBSD on the laptop would certainly give ... >> server. ... > lines of shell script and a config file that lists the next send date. ... > needed trigger the stats script to send the anonymous data and update ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: PAWS security vulnerability
    ... FreeBSD security list" isn't grammatically correct. ... "I told you to post the patch and info to the appropriate FreeBSD security ... "...This point and others are often discussed on the mailing lists, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 246, Issue 44
    ... Is aio or vm broken for FreeBSD 7-STABLE? ... Re: error: field 'aio_sigevent' has incomplete type (Mel) ... change root pasword ... # idiot autoresponder on freebsd lists, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: file system setup for new system - recommendations?
    ... Your planned usage sounds alot like the way I use FreeBSD. ... config files and your personal data (unless you want to backup other boxes to ... very often like disklabel to partition or newfs, ... Web pages and mailing lists would be in home. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Cross platform building best practices (building 6 on 7)
    ... I've done a lot of Googling and scouring the lists about this ... No dice (and I'm still debugging why since this binutils ... need to bootstrap my dev environment for 6.x development on 7.x. ... I've run a FreeBSD 1.1 chroot on a freeBSD 7 system ...
    (freebsd-hackers)