Fwd: Re: Secure

From: WebSec WebSec (secure21st@hotmail.com)
Date: 11/12/01

From: "WebSec WebSec" <secure21st@hotmail.com>
To: florin.manaila@softnet.ro
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:21:21 +0000

I think it is important to differentiate between "network" security and
"local user" security. I assume that this question is about network
security.

In this case, the security of the machine depends on the number of services
required to operate this machine and the security of all network services
running on that machine.

To give you an example, if you have a trojan horse running on any *BSD
machine - you understand the rest.

As far as the number of services required - I think all BSDs are the same :)
  This is unlike Win NT and especially Win2K!

It is important to understand that in many cases very similar applications
ae running on *BSDs and Linux! Remember this trojan horse example?

The key is to not have extra services and hand-pick those that face the
Internet. Sometimes, it means a sacrifice in functionality...

But than again, one can always load a trojan... and ask which platform is
more secure...

I choose FreeBSD because it supports more advanced HW configurations. As
far as security, it can be secure if it is not that one big firm.