Re: Qmail Relay

From: Brian Behlendorf (brian@collab.net)
Date: 11/06/01

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:31:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To: Danny <eyezonme@gmx.net>

This is really not on-topic for this list, but to answer it anyways,
tcpserver is like inetd in that it passes along network connections to
particular processes (in this case, qmail-smtpd) and is what listens on
port 25 for SMTP traffic, so it is a necessary part of using qmail as your
MTA. If all you need to do is be able to send mail, you don't even really
need an MTA, as most modern mail clients (all the GUI ones I know of,
pine, mutt, etc) can SMTP connect to a remote mail server.

        Brian