Re: Qmail Relay

From: Brian Behlendorf (brian@collab.net)
Date: 11/06/01

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:31:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
To: Danny <eyezonme@gmx.net>

This is really not on-topic for this list, but to answer it anyways,
tcpserver is like inetd in that it passes along network connections to
particular processes (in this case, qmail-smtpd) and is what listens on
port 25 for SMTP traffic, so it is a necessary part of using qmail as your
MTA. If all you need to do is be able to send mail, you don't even really
need an MTA, as most modern mail clients (all the GUI ones I know of,
pine, mutt, etc) can SMTP connect to a remote mail server.

        Brian

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Danny wrote:
> From reading all the FAQs and whatnot from DJB (who seems to be quite
> the arrogant prick) it doesn't appear that there is any way of using a
> q-mail server as a realy besides running his 'tcpserver'. Is this the
> case or can I use qmail as a realy without relying on anything besisides
> the 4.4 base system?

  • Re: clone() <-> getpid() bug in 2.6?
    ... > In this case, however, it has nothing directly to do with qmail. ... > is tcpserver, and tcpserver only uses getpid for two things: ... > getpid calls per connection. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Using squirrelmail + qmail + courier-imap under FreeBSD ( installed via ports )
    ... Im using squirrelmail + qmail and courier-imap. ... with only tcpserver with -x switch pointing at /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb file. ... still get it to work so don't think that emailing this to the lists is the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: clone() <-> getpid() bug in 2.6?
    ... In this case, however, it has nothing directly to do with qmail. ... is tcpserver, and tcpserver only uses getpid for two things: ... This strace pattern seemed rather odd to me, ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • qmail/pop3 memory errors
    ... I'm having trouble with qmail, or some qmail thread, running ... Jun 7 08:58:45 hostname out of memory [194518"3 ... @4000000040c4749f2978fb44 tcpserver: status: 0/30 ... success hostname@hostname.com:123.123.123.123 ...
    (comp.os.linux)