Re: US Congress already discussing bans on strong crypto

From: Michael Richards (michael@fastmail.ca)
Date: 09/14/01

To: freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
From: "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:10:35 -0400 (EDT)

I think it would be just as effective if they were to pass a law
requiring all terrorist organisations to provide backdoor keys to
their encrypted communications.

Since things like DES and RSA are so widely published there really
isn't a way to make these "go away". If you're planning on hijacking
aircraft and flying them into buildings, I don't think you will care
that much about a little law against sending PGP'd email.

-Michael

[snip]