Re: good practice for /tmp

From: Fernando Schapachnik (fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar)
Date: 09/04/01

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:25:47 -0300
From: Fernando Schapachnik <fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar>
To: Alex Holst <a@area51.dk>

En un mensaje anterior, Alex Holst escribió:
> Quoting Magdalinin Kirill (bsdforumen@hotmail.com):
> > is it a good practice to mount /tmp/ on it's own partition, symlink /var/tmp
> > to it and turn on quotas on that partition
>
> It is, and it lets you supply mount options for /tmp (e.g. NOSUID, NOEXEC,
> etc) and whatever else you want to do.

Just a note: /var/tmp is supossed to be kept between reboots (see
hier man page), and /tmp is not. So keep this in mind. You might want
to turn off /tmp cleans at reboot.

Regards.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Planificación de red y tecnología
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.
fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar
Tel.: (54-11) 4323-3381

  • Re: Unattended Network Install Fails After First Reboot
    ... > activate the partition after creating it. ... After it reboots and starts the install program again, ... >> What other partitions or drives exist in the system? ...
  • SUMMARY: mount at boot without error RAID partition
    ... it fails to fsck this massive partition and the ... > minutes), there are no errors, and I can mount it and continue. ... > tried several things which required several reboots. ... so I mounted it manually without a fsck first. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Error during directory enumeration
    ... > Click on Settings under 'Startup and Recovery' and then uncheck ... another partition for now to see if I could get into the "D" drive. ... But my Documents and settings etc, ... > | drivers and then stops after Mup.sys shows up, blacks out and reboots. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)