Re: how can I find general security infomation ?

From: edwin chan (slack@suntop-cn.com)
Date: 09/03/01

From: "edwin chan" <slack@suntop-cn.com>
To: "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 19:20:16 +0800

really good guide, thanks a lot.

edwin chen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>
To: "edwin chan" <slack@suntop-cn.com>
Cc: <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: how can I find general security infomation ?

> edwin chan wrote to freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG:
>
> > recently, I try to enhance security for my freebsd box, I feel lack
general
> > security knowladge and concept of attack manner. where I can find deep
> > infomation about ?
> >
> > edwin chen
>
> A good place to start is the security(7) manpage. It contains a lot of
> general security information, which will increase your understanding, as
> well as give you ideas on how to improve system security. It will also
> point you in the direction of several system components and 3rd party
> tools that will have a positive effect on system security if configured
> properly.
>
> There are many sources in print that will go into more depth than
> security(7), but are not necessarily specific to FreeBSD or any other OS
> for that matter. One such good book is "Mastering Network Security"
> Benton/Sybex Network Press. ORA also has some good books in print.
>
> You'll also want to use on-line security web sites (too many to list.
> bugtraq, CERN, securityfocus, etc... try some web searches for UNIX
> security or FreeBSD security). Look for topics like firewalls, packet
> filters, intrusion detection systems (IDS), email security, VPN, etc.
>
> As a last resort (or in case of emergency!), you can hire a security
> expert. Most individuals that deserve the title "expert" charge heaps of
> money, usually by the hour.
>
> You will need to consider your own system security... What do you need?
> How important is your data? To what degree are you willing to sacrifice
> convenience for security?
>
> - Ryan
>
> --
> Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
> Network Administrator, Accounts
>
> SaskNow Technologies - http://www.sasknow.com
> #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2
>
> Tel: 306-664-3600 Fax: 306-664-1161 Saskatoon
> Toll-Free: 877-727-5669 (877-SASKNOW) North America

  • gateway security?
    ... some discussions of general security in a LAN environment with a FreeBSD ... headless gateway sits in a dark closet, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Change Password message
    ... Your request isn't recommended in general security ... If your system has been setup with general security ... I strongly recommend that you obtain a Windows XP Pro ... For general home users, ...
  • Re: Protecting programs from crackers
    ... Applicatoin security is a major issue and something not to be taken lightly. ... "Writing Secure Code" v 2.0 is a pretty good text for general security ... bonded and 2) contracting security testing companies to review your product. ... I'm not familiar with any security companies who specialize in handheld ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
  • Re: Why are the good old security advices gone
    ... What happend to basic security advices. ... I try to inject basic and/or general security measures into ... but please remember that UAC is not a security feature. ...
  • Re: More food for thought
    ... Well, out of four newsgroups you posted to, one applies and another is ... alt.computer.security is an appropriate forum. ... not a general security dialog. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)