Re: Re[2]: Possible New Security Tool For FreeBSD, Need Your Help.

From: Alfred Perlstein (
Date: 09/03/01

Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 05:34:06 -0500
From: Alfred Perlstein <>
To: "Nickolay A.Kritsky" <>

* Nickolay A.Kritsky <> [010903 05:31] wrote:
> Hello D.,
> Monday, September 03, 2001, 12:17:20 PM, you wrote:
> CDD> Yeah but Obfuscation PLUS good security does not hurt, in fact it helps.
> CDD> Just so long as you don't *rely* on it.
> Don't you think it is really _too_ complicated. While you have
> firewalls, open key logins, IP based verification. Just Keep It
> Simple. IMHO the more complicated it gets, the more chances you have,
> that in one day all this "security improvements" will play against
> you.

There's also the chance that combining two security methods may
weaken both or expose some sort of vulnerability in one or
both methods.

-Alfred Perlstein []
'"Java" developer, like "special" Olympics, right?' - Bill Paul
To Unsubscribe: send mail to

  • Re: Weak keys for ElGamal
    ... Security in crypto is inherently a probabilistic ... what are the chances that an adversary guesses the message? ... As for choosing a weak key by chance, the best way to answer the question ... choose the key randomly or always in a special intervall (but nobody ...
  • Re: Do PocketPCs need firewalls ?
    ... You seem to be a member of the camp that promotes, "Don't worry about it ... until it proves to be a problem for others, chances are you'll not be in ... false sense of security is worse than none at all. ...
  • Re: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID ....
    ... Chances are it is a security issue but you'll have to give us more info on ... Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID ...
  • Re: submitting text for use in a mysql database
    ... > Depending on the system also depends who gets hurt in the cross-fire.. ... Microsoft invests billions of dollars in security, ... want to do is fix the biggest ones and slowly make it better over time. ... You can't run before you can walk, so I want to learn to walk first, that is ...