Re: Possible New Security Tool For FreeBSD, Need Your Help.

From: Chris BeHanna (behanna@zbzoom.net)
Date: 09/01/01

Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 00:08:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To: <security@freebsd.org>

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Not Going to Tell You wrote:

> First, I stated that the only port that would be open would be the port 80
> http. And it is assumed that I would have already had a tight box with
> strict rules. But even tight boxes still show which ports are opened.
>
> As for guessing the key sequence..I doubt it, if the program was able to
> tell if port scanning was taking place. And do not for get the timer.
>
> As for sniffing, well 99.9% of all the hackers that I have seen come from
> the Internet where would they put the sniffer?

    If your machine is attached to a cable modem, then there are 253
other hosts in your neighborhood who can very easily sniff your traffic.

    If you're trying to open ports remotely, then your key traffic is
going over the internet. Do a traceroute between the host you're
using and the host you're trying to manage, and ponder someone
sniffing along any of those hops.

    Although this is unlikely for the casual user, it becomes more
likely if the remote host is a corporate-owned machine in a highly
competitive area of industry.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)

  • Re: External drives not installing or working properly on USB
    ... with the USB system before but these disappearred when I disabled the ... Only one of the five host controllers is connected to the 6 ... work on any port on the PC? ... operating system to recognise the four additional 'drives'. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: A firewall wont stop this one
    ... On top of that I implement IPF on each host ... >> for further access control to limit NFS, ... By restricting access to the NFS server. ... >> via port filtering that only allowed specific hosts rather than all. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: kostenlose Firewall
    ... | If host is a valid hostname or Internet address, and port is an integer ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)
  • Re: /etc/hosts.equiv & .rhosts
    ... want to login at another host, that host needs the first host's name ... best to allow key-only login so hackers can't ... on the port 22 as it WILL be messed with all day long. ... # Protocol 2 only ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: REMOTE DESKTOP NOT WORKING ANY LONGER PLEASE HELP!
    ... Yes the host is listening on port 3389 the default and I verified this. ... Try connecting again. ...