Re: Security update packages don't recognized patched 4.3-RELEASE

From: Andrew Kenneth Milton (akm@theinternet.com.au)
Date: 08/31/01

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:25:54 +1000
From: Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@theinternet.com.au>
To: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>

+-------[ Kris Kennaway ]----------------------
| On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:28:55PM +0200, Blaz Zupan wrote:
| > I usually cvsup RELENG_4_3 to update our servers, but this time I wanted to
| > quickly patch the lpd hole by simply installing the update package.
| > Unfortunatelly it complains that it can only be installed on 4.3-RELEASE.
| > Well, I *am* running 4.3-RELEASE, but patched up to 4.3-RELEASE-p14. I believe
| > the +INSTALL script should support this, what do others think?
|
| It was a deliberate decision to only support 4.3-RELEASE, not
| arbitrary cvsup dates of RELENG_4_3 so we don't have to worry about
| possible weird package interactions with changes on that branch at
| some point. Basically, we expect that if you can cvsup once, you can
| cvsup twice :)

Do they work with arbitrary combinations of binary updates ?

Which is to say are they generated from 4.3-RELEASE or generated from
4.3-RELEASE + previous binary updates?

I'm not sure there would be any contention there, but, I can see how
it could lead to the same situation as cvsupping (given enough updates).

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|                      | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |                      |

  • Re: no updates?
    ... updates for a couple of days now, even though I've seen quite a few ... # FreeBSD-current source tree. ... # CVSup allows you to download the latest CVS ... # The easiest way to get the main source tree is to use the "src-all" ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: ports security branch
    ... will fetch all the ports that have updates, so you really don't have to do much except launch cvsup and then launch portupgrade once cvsup is done. ... When first getting used to this stuff I thought it moderately burdensome compared to automatic binary updates, but I quickly came to understand the value of being able to choose exactly what, how and when to upgrade. ... Greg Barniskis, Computer Systems Integrator ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: crashs on 4.5RC
    ... and recompile the kernel with the new updates from cvsup ... so i tryed again yesterday made another update using the cvsup there ... > was a bunch of things new there .. ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: how to get just a small section of code?
    ... workaround). ... When there are updates, how might I set up my cvsup file to collect ... There is no easy way to do this with CVSup, ... You can probably hack a local CURRENT kernel, ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • RE: Session terminates when using xbox 360 as extender
    ... installing the same Update while watching the Media Center via an X-Box 360. ... At that precise time Service Control Manager sent stop controls to the Media ... right and center as these Updates are being installed. ... XBox 360 connected using a wired connection to a Netgear WPN824 router. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)