Re: ipfw question

From: Fernando Schapachnik (fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar)
Date: 08/07/01

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:45:20 -0300
From: Fernando Schapachnik <fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar>
To: Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>

En un mensaje anterior, Christopher Schulte escribió:
[...]
> 'The calculation of alias netmasks is important, but fortunately quite
> simple. For a given interface, there must be one address which correctly
> represents the network's netmask. Any other addresses which fall within
> this network must have a netmask of all 1's.'

You learn something every day :)

Any way, I used it the other way plenty of times with hundreds of
virtual hosts.

Regards.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Planificación de red y tecnología
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.
fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar
Tel.: (54-11) 4323-3381

  • Re: Desired behaviour of "ifconfig -alias"
    ... > For a set of IPs in the same subnet on the same interface, ... > the primary IP be the one with the proper netmask, ... alias Establish an additional network address for this interface. ... inet 88.198.173.154 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 88.198.173.159 ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: 2 Nics and default route
    ... >> kernel figures out which interface to use to get to it. ... >> If for some reason you want the cards addressed in the same subnet, ... >> be done by artificially restricting the netmask, ... All machines in the subnet should have the same netmask set and you ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • netmask & defaultrout not set in Jumpstart
    ... It appears that it is not setting the netmask correctly. ... This is a portion of the JET/jumpstart config: ... Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information. ... Attempting to configure interface bge3... ...
    (SunManagers)
  • nmap as user works, root doesnt
    ... Warning: Hostname google.ca resolves to 3 IPs. ... Unable to find appropriate interface for system route to 64.230.197.58 ... inet 192.168.2.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • SUMMARY: Setting a 255.255.255.255 Netmask
    ... The network address and physical interface name of the ... netmask to an interface. ... I actually want to do this in a non-global zone. ...
    (SunManagers)