Re: Re: [Q] distribution of patched binaries for security fixes.

From: Olivier Cortes (olive@deep-ocean.net)
Date: 07/26/01

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:19:48 +0200
From: Olivier Cortes <olive@deep-ocean.net>
To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 04:36:57AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> There are any number of tools you can use to distribute files: tar +
> scp, rsync, cvsup, 'make release' to make a full installation mirror,
> etc. If you want to automate the installation further you could
> create your own packages using pkg_create: this is very easy to do if
> you use the ports framework.

Here i make heavy use of rsync + scp tu update my web sites mirror.
i didn't thought about it to sync my systems...

saying that every BSD machine is in securelevel 2 with
[/usr]/[s]bin[/*] chflaged to schg, do you think that "pkg_create" is a
better solution than make world on every one ? (i've got 4 FreeBSD
4.3-STABLE).

[i remember some persons didn't agree with this protection method. do
you have any URL to point me to in order to discuss this subject
(again ?)]

with pkg_create, do i pack the binaries ? do i pack everything in the
dirs mentioned before ? how to trace only the changed binaries (the
cvsup log ?) ?

which method do you prefer ? (for now i make world everywhere...) is
there any URL or doc where some of them are already discussed (in
order not to spend your time on it) ?

regards,

---
Olivier Cortes
free software admin

  • Re: Copy mailertable.db access.db generics.db etc etc ....
    ... find I am I complete rookie when it comes to scp and rsync. ... use rsync with ssh or scp with ssh and thats as far as I get. ... I use cfengine here so no cron job is needed, but scp and rsync will work fine along with the cron process. ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Compiling scp statistics
    ... Or you could use rsync over ssh. ... >> We have a script that uses scp to copy weblog files from ... i.e. whether the transfer was successful. ... > way to capture the throughput figures (the progress meter is only sent ...
    (SSH)
  • rsync and scp to my website suddenly dont work
    ... Yesterday I found that scp and rsync to my website don't work anymore. ... However an ssh login in "don't need to supply the password mode) to my ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • i386 on amd64 : bge0 watchdog timeout
    ... - GENERIC is quite unusable when networked: no cvsup ... freezing the network ... leaving out ACPI is not an option since the system ... - I doubt this is driver related, e.g. when I launce a big scp ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Backup?
    ... Zur Verfügung stehen FTP, SSH, SCP und RSYNC. ... Es geht auch mit SSH oder SCP. ... welche Daten bereits per FTP übertragen wurden? ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)