Re: IKE/Racoon

From: Shoichi Sakane (sakane@kame.net)
Date: 07/25/01

To: ewancarr@yahoo.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:11:05 +0900
From: Shoichi Sakane <sakane@kame.net>

ipsec wg's mailing list is suitable for asking this question.

> What I dont understand is why for the pre-shared
> key method of authentication you need to generate
> this additional diffe hellman shared key. Does this
> actually happen or is the 'formula' above just
> confusing..

pre-shared key is just the one of material for authentication.
IKE daemon mixes it with the shared secret of DH. the shared secret
of DH is generated in each phase 1 exchange. so the mixing of them
makes the decipherment attack difficult.

  • Re: Korean bank Moves back to Mainframes (...no, not back)
    ... it is possible to have a "something you know" authentication ... ... backend database) is also frequently implemented as "shared secret". ... institutional-centric (unique cards & passwords per security domain). ... (not limited just to biometrics) ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Comments wanted on an authentication protocol
    ... > with a known shared secret. ... Well, If I were you, I would use a public known and tested algorithm. ... The use of Blowfish AND a hach function just for authentication is in my ... I just think that the use of a hash function AND a secret key ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Korean bank Moves back to Mainframes (...no, not back)
    ... it is possible to have a "something you know" authentication ... ... backend database) is also frequently implemented as "shared secret". ... institutional-centric (unique cards & passwords per security domain). ... (not limited just to biometrics) ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Does anyone have a reference for this authentication algorithm?
    ... A needs to authentication itself to B, ... B sends back a nonce. ... A hashes the nonce concatenated with its copy of the shared secret ... secret key and compares the hash result which was sent by A to B. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Security in RADIUS (RFC2865)
    ... > The encrypted password is a MD5 hash of the shared secret, ... But that already covers the area that RADIUS was meant to cover. ... attributes aren't useful, if authentication fails. ...
    (sci.crypt)