Re: FreeBSD 4.3 local root

From: serkoon (serkoon@thedarkside.nl)
Date: 07/12/01

From: "serkoon" <serkoon@thedarkside.nl>
To: <security@freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:40:28 +0200

Somebody said something somewhere:

> is the binary named 'vv' ?
>
> It has to be.

The binary doesn't need to be named 'vv', that's bull.

However.. there are several reports (myself included)
of people not being able to succesfully run the exploit
because of the used shell. Normally I use bash (2.05.?),
but somebody told me he could succesfully exploit
the bug using Midnight Commander, so I tried that.

It worked for me. So I did a bit thinking and executed
/bin/sh. That was what was needed to run the exploit
successfully. No need to change the exploitcode
or build it as 'vv', just use /bin/sh as shell.

Regards..

  • Re: Netsh cant parse funny interface names
    ... If your image are both Explorer Shell based then it is not the HrRenameConnection problem since the Explorer will call it for you. ... > Regards. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Need small image w/Network and socket support
    ... Macro" component. ... Best Regards, ... Use an alternative shell like Command Shell or TaskManager shell, ... Components like IIS, MSN, and Explorer shell ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Find text Replace w/ hyperlink
    ... Shell function to use directly, ... "Chad DeMeyer" wrote in message ... > include these in a hyperlink I don't know because I've never tried it. ... >> Many thanks and best regards, ...
    (microsoft.public.office.developer.vba)
  • RE: FreeBSD 4.3 local root
    ... I used /bin/sh in both cases and for some reason a.out did not ... I have seen other reports of this ... just use /bin/sh as shell. ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Shell & WMP
    ... Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? ... > I try to create a shell of WMP6.4. ... > And I want the WMP6.4 can auto play a wmv file. ... > Best Regards, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)