server stopped responding

From: Magdalinin Kirill (bsdforumen@hotmail.com)
Date: 06/20/01

From: "Magdalinin Kirill" <bsdforumen@hotmail.com>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:39:00 +0400

Hello,

I have 4.1 Release box that today suddenly stopped responding
except for ping command. I could not connect to it via http,
ssh, ftp or telnet. Then it was rebooted by our hosting enginer
and then I found just a few clues in the logs.

last shows that

some_login ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Wed Jun 20 16:06 - crash(02:26)

which was the last record before it was rebooted.

no errors in /var/log/messages

apache caught a couple of errors before it stopped responding:

(54)Connection reset by peer: getsockname

Does anyone have any explanations or ideas what it was?
What else should I look for?

Please, send copy to my email address.

Thanks in advance,

Kirill Magdalinin
magcyril@hotmail.com

  • Re: firewalls and computer securi
    ... >So...I shouldn't be using ftp and telnet, but ssh and sftpinstead, ... what ssh is and won't go through the trouble of finding out. ... I had a high school ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Secure telnet and ftp?
    ... Or is it Just As Easy to use the real secure ftp ... But it seems like you could implement this using SSH to establish a tunnel into a remote machine then go local to telnet/ftp assuming they were running on the box. ... ssh, sftp, scp are no harder to use than telnet, ftp. ... For GNU/Linux + other Unix can use gftp as a gui client to handle sftp and scp. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • SFTP with no SSH session
    ... Suppose someone has telnet and FTP access to his System. ... suppose I have SSH and SFTP access to my system. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh w/o password?
    ... >>I have a two machine network at home and I want to replace ftp and ... SSH, instead of telnet and ftp, but I can now remove the dummy users ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Secure telnet and ftp?
    ... could use the old telnet and ftp interfaces (which I ... Or is it Just As Easy to use the real secure ftp ... But it seems like you could implement this using SSH to establish a tunnel into a remote machine then go local to telnet/ftp assuming they were running on the box. ... The implementation you're hinting at would lend itself really well to ssh tunneling, ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)