Re: IPFW almost works now.

From: Crist Clark (crist.clark@globalstar.com)
Date: 06/13/01

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:26:13 -0700
From: "Crist Clark" <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
To: Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>

Jamie Norwood wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 04:56:37PM -0700, Matt Dillon wrote:
> >
> > If you have to have a web server, and would only also have a ftp
> > server to 'optimize' transfers, I would submit that whatever
> > performance one perceives as having gained from running the ftp
> > server (which I think is Balderdash as well) is offset by the fact
> > that you are now running two pieces of server software that might
> > potentially create a security hazzard rather then one.
> >
> > Since I can't do without my web server, ftpd is the one I turn off.
> >
> > Historically, a plain old Apache with no fancy modules turned on
> > is just as secure... in fact, even more secure... then ftpd. Maybe
> > because web servers focus on read-only stuff whereas ftpd tries to
> > be general purpose read/write/exec/chmod/only-god-knows-what-else.
>
> So how, then, do you propose people upload files, a common use of ftp?

HTTP has POST and PUT. See RFC2616 for all of HTTP 1.1's capabilities.
Compare to RFC0959 for FTP (see section 4.1).

--
Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
crist.clark@globalstar.com                    Globalstar, L.P.

  • Re: MassFS and other problems
    ... Using port 80 ... >> pointing at 'localhost' will see a web server there. ... >> Port 80 in both Browse and Oregano settings as well as HTTP. ... >Its not valid if using WebServe as it only proxies http and not ftp. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • Re: reiser4 plugins
    ... That's handled on the web server level, ... > up to the browser. ... behave as a file, or going to a file and having it ... Among protocols that behave more like filesystems, such as FTP, you ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Ask EU - any ftp experts out there?
    ... While spitting out some home-made cheese, I heard Alan Fitch ... I'm use an ftp client (the same one I've used successfully ... in the past) to ftp some html files onto the web server. ... important to mention this is old freeserve webspace. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: How to FTP ?
    ... I think XP has something called "ftp" built-in somewhere? ... Using Web Folders to view and transfer files, folders, and other information ... Folders to use SSL, but it is recommended.) ... Using SSL with Web Folders requires that the Web server also supports SSL. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Help! Publishing... what did I wrong?
    ... Your FTP has clobbered the FP SE ... To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see: ... The web server may not have the FrontPage Server Extensions installed. ... If you are connecting through a proxy server, ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)