Re: IPFW almost works now.

From: Antoine Beaupre (LMC) (Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca)
Date: 06/12/01

From: "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To: Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:02:17 -0400

Jamie Norwood wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 04:44:02PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
>><<On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:27:49 -0400, Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net> said:

>>Balderdash! HTTP and TCP both send files over identical TCP
>>connections, which makes them equally efficient. There really is no
>>reason for FTP to continue to exist (but yet it does).

Actually...

> OK, even not arguing the point, they are still quite different applications.

This is it. The only reason why FTP still exists is because there is no
"standard" command-line HTTP client that can be used as an FTP client.

Same thing on the server side. Although you have mod_put for apache. ;)

> FTP still very much serves a purpose. For one thing, uploading via HTTP is
> excessively non-trivial.

Why? Because (almost) no software was written with that application in mind.

While I would gladly let FTP die in favor of a cleaner (HTTP) and more
secure (HTTPS) alternative, it does indeed serve a purpose: legacy.

A.

--
La sémantique est la gravité de l'abstraction.

  • Re: Summary: Tell portupgrade to use passive ftp
    ... I'd like to rant that there is no reason for ftp to ... HTTP has a tendency to timeout on large files unless your httpd.conf ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: why use ftp if http provides the same services???
    ... >> when downloading a file often the websites give two option..either ... >> download it from a ftp site or http.. ... >> html.eg.word,spreadsheet file) from http server and ftp server.? ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Questions on secure remote access to Fedora Core 2
    ... and everyone else who replied to the "Disabling telnet on ... Keep HTTP and HTTPS open for everybody ... Open inbound SSH, FTP, and mail for everybody ... ... users who for whatever reason can't use SFTP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Overview Of New Intel Core i7(Nehalem) Processor
    ... FTP wins on all counts. ... Check the RFCs. ... HTTP, thus the need for a downloader tool to replace much of the ... Most HTTP download managers are a scam; if you fell for it, ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Opentextfile TriStateMixed
    ... If it doesn't work you might also try using HTTP. ... I find that if I use winsock and talk directly to an FTP server, ... The FTP server just sends the file to me with an HTTP ... "The GetHeader method is used to retrieve header text from an HTTP file" ...