Security Monitors

From: Glenn G (glenn@geekazoid.com)
Date: 05/03/01

Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 09:18:25 -0700
From: Glenn G <glenn@geekazoid.com>
To: security@FreeBSD.org

Good Morning All! I have a quick question regarding security
monitoring. We have a Linux server that was recently breeched
(completely my fault btw. Never got around to securing it up very
well.)

To my point...FreeBSD has been much more secure in my limited experience
than most other OS's out there. I would however like to install more
monitoring software on the box so it will alert me if there has been an
attack. I have been looking at "mon", "bro", and "logcheck". Can
anyone give any recommendations? Experiences?

Also, is it worthwhile to install "xinetd"? Again, any advice would be
awesome.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! ;-)

Happy Day,
glenn

PS - I am on the digest list so please be patient for any feedback from
me. :-)

  • Re: Security Monitors
    ... I have a quick question regarding security ... > To my point...FreeBSD has been much more secure in my limited experience ... > monitoring software on the box so it will alert me if there has been an ... swatch regular expressions in your logs that could trigger some action ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Critical Alert Update - W32.Slammer
    ... PSS Security Response Team Alert - Update: ... SP2, and Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine Version (MSDE) 2000 RTM, Microsoft SQL ... and all applications that install Microsoft SQL Desktop ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Critical Alert Update - W32.Slammer
    ... PSS Security Response Team Alert - Update: ... SP2, and Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine Version (MSDE) 2000 RTM, Microsoft SQL ... and all applications that install Microsoft SQL Desktop ...
    (microsoft.public.security)