RE: Closing TCP ports

From: Chuck Rock (carock@epconline.net)
Date: 04/13/01

From: "Chuck Rock" <carock@epconline.net>
To: <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:34:57 -0500

Closing ports that have daemon's running on them to certain clients, or
closing ports that netstat -an show as closed or closed_wait?

If it's the second, I'd like to know as well, we have some servers that have
about 170 ports show in the netstat -an output as closed or closed_wait

If there's no daemon or process listed in inetd listening on a port, there's
no need to "close" it.

Chuck

  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] closing ports
    ... close all outbound ports except the needed ones. ... Subject: closing ports ... Full-Disclosure - We believe in it. ... Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: closing ports sbs 2000 sp4
    ... has anyone identified a solution to closing ports on a win2k server? ... "Andrew" wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Whos blocking these ports? Please help...
    ... server - one is called Vicomsoft Internet Gateway (proxy server, ... IG basically takes over the TCP/IP routing and does this using ... Each of these ports uses a NIC in the server. ... All the clients are assigned IPs ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Firewall advice
    ... > The VPN will only way for outside users to connect. ... old ipchains you'd be allowing inbound on the unpriv'd ports anyway. ... You'll need to let 3389 in from the PPTP sessions. ... IP's if only a few clients) to route through. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Open Ports
    ... want the ports open even ifs all in house and behind the hardware firewall??? ... it opens up in demo mode. ... server is Cisco Catalyst Express 500 switches for voice over IP. ... will take requests from the clients. ...