Re: Blocking an IP addrress

From: Brett Glass (brett@lariat.org)
Date: 03/19/01

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:00:19 -0700
To: marouni@earlham.edu, "security FreeBSD.ORG" <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>

Why not add a blackhole host route to that IP?

--Brett

At 02:41 PM 3/18/2001, Nicholas Marouf wrote:

>Greetings,
> We've been getting many sendmail connections from 199.45.164.216 and
>is causing sendmail to stop. This looks like a DOS however the admin of
>that server says that sendmail on their side is sending mail out in
>bacthes, and that they are taking a look into it.
>
>But either way we would like to block it.
>
>I've added deny all in hosts.allow for that ip
>Also added in the access file REJECT for that ip address.
>
>Those two still do not make a difference since connections keep on
>opening up.
>
>I've been trying to get ipfw to block it. but I get this error message.
>Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
>su-2.04# ps ax | grep sendmail
>16180 ?? Ss 0:00.02 sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)
>16250 ?? S 0:00.03 sendmail: startup with 199.45.164.216
>(sendmail)
>16337 ?? I 0:00.00 sendmail: startup with 199.45.164.216
>(sendmail)
>16344 p2 R+ 0:00.00 grep sendmail
>

>Thanks again..
>
>Nick
>

>--
>Nicholas Marouf || Student System Administrator
>http://www.ramallahonline.com

  • Blocking an IP addrress
    ... We've been getting many sendmail connections from 199.45.164.216 and ... is causing sendmail to stop. ... that server says that sendmail on their side is sending mail out in ... but I get this error message. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Sendmail Messages
    ... the messages and syslog files constantly post   ... entries complaining about the lack of sendmail connections. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Open question to Ian Jackson re URCM
    ... that this is standard behaviour by sendmail. ... actual error message, so you must agree that it's a bug in your ... Multi-line SMTP ... Perhaps sendmail only includes one of the two lines in the bounce? ...
    (uk.net.news.config)
  • Re: Spam Problem
    ... And the latest sendmail is picky and rejects things by default ... that wasn't the error message I was thinking of... ... What makes you think it has anything to do with reverse DNS? ... relay= is filled with an IP address where normally delivered ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • F12: Sendmail, clamav-milter & spamass-milter
    ... I have spent weeks trying to resolve the following issues: ... SendMail - I can get SM to run, ... the error message reported is: ... To unsubscribe or change subscription options: ...
    (Fedora)