Re: ssh knownhosts ip vs domain name

From: tjk@tksoft.com
Date: 03/12/01

From: "tjk@tksoft.com" <tjk@tksoft.com>
To: meshko@cs.brandeis.edu (Mikhail Kruk)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 01:34:20 -0800 (PST)

Edit the known_hosts file by hand.

Troy

> I have a machine which has a dynamic ip. I use dyndns.org dynamic DNS
> service, so when IP on that machine changes name.dyndns.org points to the
> new IP. So when I want to ssh to this box, I do ssh name.dyndns.org.
> However ssh doesn't put name.dyndns.org into the known_hosts file, but
> rather saves the new ip, which is obivousely not what I want.
> Is there any way to force it to check by domain name, not by ip?
>
> (I'm using OpenSSH_2.3.0p1)
>
> thanks
> mk

  • Re: Dynamic IP
    ... There are other ways to do this than with dynamic DNS, ... go "ssh user@$IP_ADDRESS", and Yo're done. ... Your ISP gave You, especially if it changes while You're not at home. ... dynamic DNS service), all services that Your box offers are available ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • RE: ssh login protection
    ... > is enough) between your mail servers and the world. ... external server is able to ssh your mail servers. ... have a free dynamic DNS service, and there are good clients for both Windows ... The next step would be to allow connections from your dynamic DNS hostname ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • ssh knownhosts ip vs domain name
    ... I use dyndns.org dynamic DNS ... so when IP on that machine changes name.dyndns.org points to the ... So when I want to ssh to this box, ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Sending email to dial up Linux box
    ... > At time of writing I could ssh in so that really is me. ... When you use IP instead of hostname (or want ... It might be easier if you set up dynamic DNS. ... you have no static interface, use an extra loopback IP like 127.0.0.2. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)