Re: Bind problems

From: Doug Barton (DougB@gorean.org)
Date: 02/23/01

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:36:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> In message <3A947710.000009.60978@frodo.searchcanada.ca>, "Michael
> Richards" wr
> ites:
> > Since the big BIND vulnerability, I checked all my versions of BIND
> > to make sure they weren't the 8.2.2 variety. None were.
> >
> > Most returned: named 8.2.3-T6B Thu Nov 23 19:00:06 EST 2000
> > Which is not supposed to be vulnerable.

        Any BIND 8 other than 8.2.3-REL *IS* vulnerable. No one (ISC,
FreeBSD, etc.) has ever said any different.

> If I (taking my manager's hat off and
> putting my security officer's hat on) were you I'd do the prudent
> thing, which is to verify the system was not already hacked or
> otherwise consider the system suspect until I can prove it otherwise.

        It's impossible to prove that a system connected to a network has
not been hacked. If you have even a reasonable suspicion that a machine is
compromised you should assume it is and proceed accordingly.

Doug

--
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory . . . lasts forever."
        -- Keanu Reeves as Shane Falco in "The Replacements"

  • Re: Bind vulnerability
    ... > The bind vulnerability has been fixed in 4.2-current? ... FreeBSD: The Power To Serve - http://www.FreeBSD.org ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Bind vulnerability
    ... The bind vulnerability has been fixed in 4.2-current? ... TIA, ... George ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Bind problems
    ... > Since the big BIND vulnerability, I checked all my versions of BIND ... > to make sure they weren't the 8.2.2 variety. ... Kris ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)