Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)

From: Wes Peters (wes@softweyr.com)
Date: 02/13/01

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 01:29:49 -0700
From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To: Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>

Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Mon 2001-02-12 (15:51), Edward W. M. wrote:
> > >Mail Options:
> > >1. Qmail - Secure, written for FreeBSD (Qwest?), Fast, Configurable
> >
> > I would advise against qmail, as I've had reliability issues with
> > it.
>
> Like?
>
> > ports/mail/courier-imap looks promising, but at this stage it's just
> > something for people who want to tinker with it, IMHO. It's fairly
> > new, so it has no proven security record and it currently supports
> > the Maildir format ONLY.
>
> It also does POP3.

And IMAP-SSL, and POP3-SSL. It's far beyond the tinkering stage,
though feeding it with qmail is a mistake in my opinion. Ick.

  • Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)
    ... On Tue 2001-02-13, Wes Peters wrote: ... >>> I would advise against qmail, as I've had reliability issues with ... It's far beyond the tinkering stage, ... > though feeding it with qmail is a mistake in my opinion. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)
    ... >>> I would advise against qmail, as I've had reliability issues ... >problems I've run into with QMail: ... Even moving a broken queue aside and later merging it ... So what's wrong with that, you may ask, if you want a race car, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)
    ... On Mon 2001-02-12, Edward W. M. wrote: ... >>Mail Options: ... > I would advise against qmail, as I've had reliability issues with ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)
    ... but here are some of the reliability ... problems I've run into with QMail: ... Even moving a broken queue aside and later merging it ... the documented way of doing this is to compile and install ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)