Re: ipmon and periodic

From: Peter Pentchev (roam@orbitel.bg)
Date: 02/02/01

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:08:01 +0200
From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: disassembled <modulus@icmp.dhs.org>

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 08:56:14PM -0600, disassembled wrote:

> struct packet {
> struct tcp_header foo;
> struct ip_header var;
> };

Mmmm I thought the IP header came before the TCP header? :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
I am the thought you are now thinking.
> If you want to get the size of a tcp packet, (in the psuedo code above
> thats a valid example)
>
> the size of your tcp packet in bytes would be equal to:
>
> sizeof(packet); /* if you are familliar with C that is */
>
> is generally a good place to start.
>
> hope this helps
>

> On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Sam Wun wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > does anyone know how to convert a packet to number of bytes?

  • alt.2600 FAQ Revision .014 (2/4)
    ... One type of firewall is the packet filtering firewall. ... Dropping packets instead of rejecting them greatly increases the time required to scan your network. ... Port scanning UDP ports is much slower than port scanning TCP ports. ... Chartreuse Use the electricity from your phone line Cheese Connect two phones to create a diverter Chrome Manipulate Traffic Signals by Remote Control ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: TCP/IP Services SSH and new router difficulties
    ... (TCP vs UDP, role of routers, significance of MTU, etc). ... the lost packet and what followed it is retransmitted. ... I'd start by looking to see whether you have a Path MTU Discovery ... VMS TCP/IP SSH ports budge? ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: jailed "system" needs IPV4 access
    ... see if the ACK flag is set on a tcp packet. ... the keep-state option just ... 00500 deny log ip from 192.160.1.0/24 to any in via dc1 ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Incoherent E-mails
    ... The Novell crap was originally run on IPX ... The term in the early-mid nineties was "packet storm". ... The original advantage of UDP was ... > 60 bytes for TCP. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: A question regarding MTU: how it can effect TCP performance + other queries
    ... Can you check if your physical NIC has TCP large send offload enabled? ... I can't think of anything for the UDP case however, that just seems strange to me. ... Are you grouping multiple UDP packets in one TCP packet? ... encapsulated within another TCP packet when passed to physical interface, while for UDP I am sending UDP packet encapsulated within TCP packet when passed to physical interface. ...